Torch Going Bad? Please See Pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demodiki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this guy last week...some of the heads seem to be thriving.
55 gal tank
ph 8.2
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
Lighting is 4x65 PC with actinics

Are these 2 heads in the top right of the coral dead or dying?

The two heads to the right have brown jelly disease. You will need to frag those off and toss them. The recession thus far makes them not worth salvaging. Be sure to do a few good water changes will well aged/aerated SW and run carbon (changed frequently for the first few days) and then weekly after that. The intoduction of a good liquid marine vitamin high in stabalized vitamin C will be plus. Best dosed between carbon changes as it will pull it out some.

Watch for animals possibley causing it irritation as well as nearby corals. Be sure the torch itself is not against any hard surfaces as it will cause necrotic tissue as will sustained heavy water flow.

How's your chemistry?

Cheers
Steve

The chemistry appears fine with the exception of the nitrates at 10. I just fragged the torch...my lord that thing smelled terrible! I think there is another head that has it. I have no prepared saltwater and no iodine either. I guess I am going to have to hope for the best and wait til the morning to see how they are doing. Also, the one other head that may be affected is kind of a short, stubby head...I think I am going to have to get a saw involved :(

I have never fragged anything before and I feel that this isn't going well.
I do have carbon running.

OK...here is the two pieces. Please tell me what you think. Do you see the somewhat bare head in this first picture? What do you think? More jelly? I am going to dip that one this afternoon...

Second frag...

Well, I took the guy out in pic 1 and cut out as much of that head as I could. I got alot of brown gunk out of there. I hope that was the bad stuff :) I also have him in a 20 minute iodine dip. I have read that it works and that it doesn't work...we shall see.

This is him after the dip. The heads are sure closed up tight. I have a birthday party to go to...I hope they look better after I get home!

With brown jelly infections, iodine dips rarely if ever work. More often it just stresses the coral further. This leaves the coral open to even further infection/increased rate of infection. The best thing you can do is reduce the organics in the tank and keep the jelly siphoned off. You've already fragged the worst of the group so a good start but you need to get the water quality in line. The nitrates need to be reduced.

In terms of chemistry I was not refering to the nitrates, I was asking about alk/Ca.

Cheers
Steve

Oops...sorry Steve. I hate to say it but we have never tested for Alk and Ca. I know I should get a test kit sooner rather than later. Both frags look pretty good tonight. I will keep you guys posted on how they are doing.

I am going to do 15 gallon water changes weekly to try and clear some things up. Thanks for all yall's help and support :)

demodiki said:
I hate to say it but we have never tested for Alk and Ca.
6.gif

I know I should get a test kit sooner rather than later.
Sooner rather than later I hope :wink:

I am going to do 15 gallon water changes weekly to try and clear some things up.
Good to hear the frags are looking better. Don't be afraid to do more than one water change weekly, you will improve things that much faster. Just be sure the water is well aged/aerated (24hrs) before use.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom