Treatment for Elegance Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulron

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings,

About 3 days ago I accidentally dropped my brain coral and it hit the Elegance coral. :( Brain was ok because it was closed up due to the move; however the Elegance is developping an area of white tissue. This is around the area the brain hit, but it "seems" to be spreading. I am still not 100% sure it is RTN(only read about it) but does "healing" tissue have a white(no pigment) to it?

DESC: Easiest way to describe it is after 2 fish fight and there is some scale loss. It looks like the white part of the fish.

In any case what do you all suggest?
Vitamin C treatment?
Cut the tissue away and let it heal again?
Disinfectant dip?

....or is there something I'm missing?

I could not get a clear pic of it but here's the best ?I can do atm.

Hollar if you need more info. I'll try and get a better pic at night when it closes.

EDIT: Couldn't get the pic under size limit. I'm going to shrink it on my main pc. Pic will follow, when I can upload it. Hopefully I can. My connection still is the pits.

TIA -

here's a picture of what it looks like. I might be jumping the gun here but I know nothing about coral disease. And it doesn't match anything in my current library.

EDIT: picture is zoomed in a lot the total infected area is about 3/4" at most. Just for perspective.

Not being an expert on coral diseases, I'm not sure what it is. It could be just the corals reaction to the trauma.
If it's RTN, you can try to treat it with chloramphenicol. This is an old antibiotic that is mostly used in veterinary medicine. It is not available except by prescription and can be dangerous to use...mask and gloves should be used. The info on dosing can be found in "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman on page 391. This is the only drug that has had any success treating RTN.
You might also try a Lugols dip...also risky, but to the coral, not you. Use about 5 drops of 5% Lugols per quart of SW. Dip for about 10 minutes unless the coral shows signs of distress. I wouldn't do anything unless the affected area gets larger though. I didn't see anything that really looked like what you have in any of my books so maybe it's just trauma and will heal up in time. Not much help I know :oops:

nope, it helps. I have Eric's book so I'll look up the dosing info. I will play it by ear if it gets worse; then I'll dose/medicate. I am hoping it is just the result of the trauma. It did eat so that was promising.

Once again, Thanks for your help! (y)

Just be really cautious if you use the Chloramphenicol...it can have some nasty side effects on humans. Hope things work out.

Back
Top Bottom