Trigger with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been gone a few days, and when I came home I noticed my Trigger's tail and fins were missing/torn. He is eating and appears to be doing well, but I am concerned it may be some type of bacterial infection, or one of the other fish are nipping, which is not likely the case. The rest of my fish do not have this issue. I have captured a picture below that shows his fins/tail.
I also found a site that had some information on fin/tail rot, and suggested a few things:

"This is a classic case of Fin and Tail Rot. It is caused by a Pseudomonas Bacteria (A condition called: Pseudomoniasis)."

Treatment: There are quite a few things you can use to treat this condition. TMP-Sulfa -or- Sulfa 4 TMP -or- Neomycin Sulfate -or- Tetracycline -or- Nitrofurazone.

Before I jump the gun here, can someone suggest what I should do here? If it does require treatment, I will QT him.

TIA

Mike

Attachments

• trigger_side.jpg
    trigger_side.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 71
This is minor bacterial infection, usually caused by excess nutrients in the water. Even though your water tests are probably normal, they cannot detect the DOC. What can help is a bunch of water changes and cleaning. Perform 3-4 large water changes (20% +) with mixed (24hrs) and aerated sw - do one every few days for the next few weeks, then once a week after. Clean any filters or areas that may collect waste. Run activated carbon or a polyfilter to help clean the water further. Just keep up on these water changes and he will heal on his own. It will take a few weeks, but the fins will come back like new. This is easier and safer than going the QT route. The important thing is this addresses the root cause - high DOC in the water which the bacteria thrives on. Meds would only be a bandaid.

Also be sure to feed some foods high in vitamins or HUFAs or just buy some Selcon vitamin additive and add to frozen / fresh food.

Thanks srgetz. I have already started soaking the food in Selcon, and will start performing some water changes this week. I'm glad it appears to be minor. I have had him over a year now, and would hate to lose him.

Mike

Sure, just keep a close eye over the next 2-4 weeks, he should show definite improvement. If not, then let us know and we can advise on possible meds. But the nutritional boost and water changes over a few weeks should do it.

Back
Top Bottom