Trochus snails dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Until about a week ago, I had two Trochus Snails living peaceably in my Nano 29g - also in the tank are a handful of hermit crabs, two black footed trochus two Emerald crabs, three coris, two clownfish, a yellow wrasse, a flasher wrasse, one watchman goby, one fire goby, and assorted corals.

Now, my two large trochus are dead; before the second one died (just overnight last night) I found it lying on the substrate; I placed it against the glass, and it seemed to be extremely weak. This morning, it was dead.

What could have killed my larget, oldest snails? Simultaneous old age?

The number one killer of inverts are nitrates. Please check them to make sure they are under control.

considering you have more livestock in your 29 nano than I have in my system; 50 gallon display (70 gallons total w/sump & refugium) I think water quality should be the first thing to check.

seriously, your tank is overstocked and will only give you more headaches as the fish get larger.

the yellow wrasse (I assume a coris wrasse) could possibly be suspect because they will pick at snails and stuff.

Water was tested before the first death and all chem levels are OK...

The wrasses have been in the tank for well over two months with no problems...

Out of six snails, only these two died...

Is this possible through some other means?

I've done 5g water changes every week...

There's two issues at play if the hermits killed 'em:

1: The first was found dead and the shell is still unoccupied.
2: The second was found alive. Barely.

Any chance an emerald would kill one and fatally injure the second?

I put three snails in my tank and my emerald instantly ripped one of them apart. Could be any crab realistically

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I put three snails in my tank and my emerald instantly ripped one of them apart. Could be any crab realistically

Thanks for the additional data point...

I'm taking another water sample to my LFS later today for a new analysis...

LFS was closed @ 4:30 or thereabouts; normally open until 8:00 weekdays...so no water analysis. ��

Will try again on Saturday...

Maybe it's a saltwater thing, but can't you get a kit to test water chemistry instead of relying on a LFS?

Maybe it's a saltwater thing, but can't you get a kit to test water chemistry instead of relying on a LFS?

Multiple kits, actually...as well as a couple of different master kits. But since I have to go to the LFS every week for water, it's just as easy to bring along a sample from each tank.

I decided to exchange three gallons between the tanks...didn't have any "fresh" water to do a routine 5g change. Probably do my regular 5g on Sunday, then another 5g on Wednesday. The 75g won't be hurt by the 3g from the 29g...

Everything in both tanks is still looking happy...including my xmas present clam.

:fish2:

Lost one of the Cromis this evening.

Gonna have to do a 50% water change tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp...got the results from today's water tests:

Salinity: 1.026
Ca: 480
Alkalinity: 7.0 (YIKES!) :eek:
Nitrate: 75-90 (YIKES! twice!) :eek: :eek:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.20 (YIKES! thrice!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Could these have spiked somehow, related to stirring up the substrate during my previous water change? :banghead:

Thanks to all who correctly identified the culprits!!! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Did a 10g water change; will do another 5g Tuesday or Wednesday...then another eval next weekend. :fish2: :fish1:

How old is the system? What's your maintenance regime?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How old is the system? What's your maintenance regime?

Tank is coming up on its first anniversary, Feb 2

Maintenance is a weekly 5g water change,
plus glass cleaning once or twice per week (always with the water change). Weekly water tests @ LFS when I go in to fill my 5g bladders...

Weekly testing is why I wonder about the spike.

Back
Top Bottom