UGH ich ich ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so im ready to get a qt tank tomorrow, i was gonna get a ten gal, with some cupramine to treat my ich. my baby blue tang, and yellow tang (which has white AND black ich). i am also gonna add some cleaner shrimp to my main tank to eat some of the parasites. i have a 55gal FOWLR its been set up for about 4 months. the ich on the blue tang has been there for almost 3 weeks. its VERY VERY odd its gone in the morning, u cant even see it, but by 6pm its starting to be visible and by 8pm its clearly there. today is the first day the tang has had any, and barley has any white just 2 spots on a fin, but he has about 5 black spots on his body which i have been told is fluke or something. soooooooo when i get the qt tank, i am gonna fill it with water from my main tank and just do a water change in it. then do i just add cupramine to the qt tank and let the tangs live in there for a couple weeks? in know i have to watch the water levels and all its just ive never done a qt tank before.

it is hard work qT with cupramine but i have succesfully done it twice. you have to leave the fish in there for at least 6 weeks and you have to leave the main tank fishless for 6 weeks to be sure the parasite dies off. keep up water changes and watch your ph, copper seems to mess with it. Also the ammonia levels build up very quick because of the lack of bio filter, i recommend using some of your bio balls or whatever and keeping them for qt tank only, Most people recommend hyposalinity for treating ich, as its kinder on fish. Good Luck and mayyour tank soon be ich free

Back
Top Bottom