Uh oh...BTA issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chisel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well... I had a little red slime algae outbreak and blacked out the tank for only 24 hours. I came home from work today and turned the lights on. the algae seemed to dissipate. Then I looked over at my BTA. Is this normal? This is the first time I have seen it closed up to the point to where it is almost inside out. I fed the tank and actually saw Mator take a piece of food to it but it did not seem to stick to its tentacles. He tried a couple of times before eating it himself. I then spot fed the BTA and managed to get a piece of mysis to the center by its mouth. Not sure if it ate it or not.

Attachments

• hosting 019.jpg
    hosting 019.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 78
  • hosting 020.jpg
    hosting 020.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 94
  • hosting 021.jpg
    hosting 021.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 86
I'm not a reefer but he may have to get used to the light. You may want to slowly add hours to your photoperiod.
What are your parameters?
I would also wait for more experienced advice as well (and get some PWC up and running, just in case).

It might be photoshocked a bit from having the lights turned off for 24hrs and then back on. Give it time to adjust, don't try and feed it directly, and watch for any excessive sliming of the tissue.

A little update.

Between yesterday morning and afternoon, the BTA has moved to the front of the tank on the same rock (hope it stays there) It was still almost inside out all day yesterday and last night. This morning I got up and found it opening and stretching its tentacles out a bit. Not to full extension but at least half. I'm thinking that the 24 hour blackout might not have been the entire cause of it closing. Maybe it was just taking a break from Mator constantly squashing it? I'm hoping that by the time I get home at 5:00 today, that it is close to being normal again. I was only going to give it 2 more days before removing it from the tank and getting another, bigger one. I read that when these things die, they dissolve and end up taking other tank mates with them along for the ride.

Another Update:

I got home today to find this... Its open but an entirely different color. It looks like a totally different anemone. Its more of a darker, greener color. You may also notice that one of the tentacles is forked. (almost center of first pic) Is that normal? That was not noticed before.

Attachments

• hosting 022.jpg
    hosting 022.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 99
  • hosting 023.jpg
    hosting 023.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 92
I think it looks pretty nice. Have you checked out your water parameters to rule that out as a cause. I`ve seen forked tentacles before.

A white anemone usually means it's bleached (from stress or sickness) and the fact that it is regaining color could be a good thing. I wouldn't worry, chances are it's regaining it's zooxanthellae algae and settling in still. It may get darker even, a brownish green color. That would be the look of a healthy bta.

When I purchased it, the LFS had 4 all the same color.....almost white with purple dots on the tips. So I guess it is bouncing back. Thanks

I remember when you posted the purchase of that anemone. I mentioned that it looked bleached. I think it is going though an adjustment and starting to look like it should.

It's definitly not white anymore. It's a darker green with light green tips. I still havn't seen it at full bubble like it was in the first pics I took of it. We'll see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom