Understanding Ich . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a FISH ONLY 30 gallon SW Cube tank inhabited by (1) Coral Beauty and (2) Bangai Cardinal fish. The Coral Beauty has contracted a mild case of Ich, and I have begun copper treatment with SeaCure Copper treatment and monitoring levels daily. I have also increased the temp in my tank to about 80.

Al fish are eating well. The Cardinal fish do not show signs of Ich.

Typically, how long will it take to see improvement? Why do the two Bangai Cardinalfish not display Ich? Are some fish more succeptable than others? Thank you for your time.

Copper should never be used in your display tank so I hope we are talking about your QT here. Ionic copper is the least desirable to use, especially with the angel. Quite honestly I would suggest an alternate route, this type of copper can lead to long term health problems for the angel.

Copper affects the free swimming stages of the parasite so time wise, 3-7 days. Total treatment time should be no less than 14 days. Be sure the treatment level is maintained @ 0.15-0.20 ppm at all times and you test the level at least 2x a day. It is not uncommon for this type of copper to wane in it's concentration after dosing.

As far as the Banggai, they are no less susceptible than the angel. It really comes down to how healthy their immune system is, what stage the parasite is at and how many full life cycles it gone through. It will only be a matter of time if you left it untreated.

Cheers
Steve

there are many threads on this subject on this site. Listen to steve on this he knows about this stuff

It is my main tank. It is FO, and I intend for it to be that way . . .

Not everyone has the time, nor the space, nor the money to have a QT tank. Furthermore, there are about 8000 different opinions out there of how to deal with issues such as Ick. I am using SeaCure Copper Treatment because that is what my LFS recommended that I do. Whether it is right, wrong, or indifferent doesn't really matter now, as I have started treatment as quickly as possible to minimize damage.

My LFS is not a Petco or a Petsmart but a reputable LFS in the Orlando area. In fact, I called three LFS's in the Orlando area for their advice, and they all agreed upon the method that I have chosen. It seems that no matter what I do and post on this board, it is always wrong and that to me is very frustrating.

You have suggested an "alternate method," but no description of what that would be. I would be interested in what you suggest for the future.

This is a hobby for me. I am not an expert, but I am learning as I go. If all of my fish die tomorrow due to my method of treatment, then I guess I will start over again and learn from the experience.

mcquillian said:
You have suggested an "alternate method," but no description of what that would be. I would be interested in what you suggest for the future.
If a copper treatment is necessary, try finding Cupramine (amine based) or at least Chelated forms of copper. Much less stressful to fish and less risk to the fish's long term health. Cupramine being the best of the bunch.

If copper is not a must and you have a refractometer, use <<hyposalinity>>.

Cheers
Steve

No offense, but if you don't have the money for a $10 10 gallon tank from WalMart, then maybe you're in the wrong hobby. As Steve pointed out, copper is not good for angels. Since it's fish only, I would suggest running some carbon to remove the copper and then begin hyposalinity treament. Hypo is approximately 1/3 that of NSW. So remove 2/3 of your SW and replace with either RO/DI or distilled. I'd do this slowly over a 2 day period and then leave it that way for 6 weeks. Below is an article that goes much more into detail about ich that you might find useful. Good luck!

KG

Back
Top Bottom