unexplained death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well,

I have had my newest fish in my display tank for almost 2 weeks. My yellow tang lived in a quasi QT tank for almost 6 weeks and the 3 chromis lived in there for close to 2 months.

I did a 10 gal water change last night while suctioning out the red slime that is a problem. I added RO water for the first time with this change as well. The tang has been eating great and has had great color but I noticed today that his belly looked shrunken in and he was struggling a bit. When I got home tonight, he was on the bottom dead with a host of scavengers upon him. I removed him immediately.

Anyway, I am a bit dumbfounded by this loss. I alternate feedings with formula 1 & 2 and marine cusine every other night. I also clip a small slip of green or red algae for the tang. He always ate voraciously and swam alot. Other than his shrunken stomach, he looked great.

My other fish, 3 chromis, 2 damsels and a perc. clown are acting as normal and my star polyps, xenia, mushrooms, etc are doing great too. If this was a water quality issue, would not the corals show signs of this first?

This is the one fish that I really want to have but seem to have trouble with :(

Well tangs use alot of energy i was told that they need to be feed two to three times aday.

Dewey

Don't feel so bad, I now have a Sohol & Blonde Naso Tang for the last 2 years that are doing well but for the last 20 + years of marine fish keeping, I also have not been successful in keeping the quite common Yellow Tang.
Books & reference manuals will tell you that they need a lot of vegetable based material and are relatively easy to keep. The many that I have tried have always eaten like pigs and would eventually get the sunken stomach look and perish. I've pretty much stayed away from them for the last 5-7 years.

possibly a cyanide caught fish. Tangs, in general, are relatively easy keepers as long as they have a decent supply of veggie matter. All of mine eat meat every night as well.

I had the same thing happen. And the lfs tank of yellow tangs were I got mine were all going at about the same time. My water quality is perfect. Who knows?

As for feeding, should I have kept some kind of algae sheet in there at all times? I usually fed a small sheet every other day but as of late, I had been putting one in every evening.

I did notice that he did a great job of cleaning the hair algae of my LR. I had a nice big tuff that did not last 5 minutes after I removed the red algae off the top of it.

Maybe I will try a differnt LFS to get another one.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom