unhappy Duncan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently purchased a small Duncan from my lfr (last week to be exact). The Duncan is comming out less and less from its "stalk" in recent days. I don't think any of the fish are pecking at it and my water params are good except my kh is a bit high, could that be the problem? The location is on the sand and it is in a lower flow portion of the tank. I actually moved it to a part with higher flow with no change in results. I can't find anything else I can think might be wrong.

I've recently purchased a small Duncan from my lfr (last week to be exact). The Duncan is comming out less and less from its "stalk" in recent days. I don't think any of the fish are pecking at it and my water params are good except my kh is a bit high, could that be the problem? The location is on the sand and it is in a lower flow portion of the tank. I actually moved it to a part with higher flow with no change in results. I can't find anything else I can think might be wrong.

Whats your lighting and tank size? Also how high kh are we talking?

It's a 56gal collum. I use ecoxotic panorama pros (2-12000k white and blues and one blue and magenta).
My kh is 13.2.... I'm not really sure how it got that high, I haven't buffered in weeks. I use red sea coral pro salt mix.

Is it just drawn into itself? Mine do it from time to time and come out on their own. Though the high kh might not be helping any.

Yes that's exactly what it is doing. It has been like that maybe 90% of the time for the last couple days. I guess I'm most concerned about the length of time its retracted, it wasn't like that the first few days. Would too much light cause it to retract?

Well, for a day I wouldn't have been worried. For several there is obviously an issue. Define too much light. I have 2 under my Radions without issue. How long has it been in its new spot?

Well, for a day I wouldn't have been worried. For several there is obviously an issue. Define too much light. I have 2 under my Radions without issue. How long has it been in its new spot?

It's kind of out now. The camera really picks up the blues.
It has been in the new spot for two days. I'll try one with a little more shade tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20121207_204625.jpg

I hear they sometimes puff up after they feed. It may be worth a shot. My brothers seen good results using vitamin C. His Duncan just inflates like crazy when he doses it.

Looks good today.
I have had my skimmer off all night (tried to add a rock shelf, putty makes the thing go berserk) . I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

ForumRunner_20121208_143641.jpg

Back
Top Bottom