unhappy goniopora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an unhappy goniopora.

ForumRunner_20130113_164615.jpg

It has been like this for roughly a day and a half and I'm not sure why.
Params
Temp 76
Amo, trates, trites-0
Ph- 8.2
Calcium-460
Mg-1400
Kh-11.8
These params are basically always the same, never any big swings. I'm a little miffed on why its receded like this. Originally thought it was a hermit bothered it but now its been a day and a half. Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130113_164703.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130113_164703.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 143
I have a goni as well but mines a little bigger, it has 4 branches. It was mostly closed during night, and when I was moving it around a lot. I put it on the sand bed and it opened nicely but not fully like I saw at the lfs. I just moved it up on the rockwork today, I purchased this 2 weeks ago and I just dont think Ive ever seen it fully open but maybe because i moved it 2-4 times.

I haven't had a problem until yesterday myself. Maybe I should move it to lower light?

They dont have a good track record in home aquariums. If you are to keep it weekly PWC`s will be needed. They need pristine water conditions.

They dont have a good track record in home aquariums. If you are to keep it weekly PWC`s will be needed. They need pristine water conditions.

I do weekly changes and I think my water conditions are excellent, at least I always thought they were. Hopefully tomorrow will turn out better.

Now that I think about it I just removed a bag of phosguard Friday. Could that have changed anything?

So its looking better. The only additional thing I did outside my normal maintenance was put tHe phosguard bag back in. Strangely that seems to be making a difference. I had the goniopora for a month and all was well then I put the phosguard in for 4 days and everything goes to heck.
I had the phosguard due to minor algae outbreak (maybe over feeding or too long of a light cycle, i think its lights). Either way seems like the goni is dependant on it now... ?

hmm not sure, im glad its doing okay. I just moved mine up a couple of days ago. 2 out of 4 branches are almost fully opened. Not sure what's going on.

my tds is high coming from my rodi machine - i think that's the reason my tank has not been flourishing as it's supposed to. Once I get that under control (when the new filters come in) I will let you know how my goni acts.

my tds is high coming from my rodi machine - i think that's the reason my tank has not been flourishing as it's supposed to. Once I get that under control (when the new filters come in) I will let you know how my goni acts.

I would be interested in hearing about it... I have suspected my lfr has been selling me sub par ro/di for a few weeks now. I don't have tds meter to check though. I should buy one to find out.

I would be interested in hearing about it... I have suspected my lfr has been selling me sub par ro/di for a few weeks now. I don't have tds meter to check though. I should buy one to find out.

I would, Ive lost so many fish and never thought to check the ppm coming out of the water i've been using. It was like 10$ on e-bay just search it and it came in like a week. Better safe then sorry. I will let you know when the filters come in if i can figure out how to change them ill give you some updates.

Here's a pic of mine when it was on the sand bed. This baby looked so nice at the store in their tank when I got it. This is like 10% opened.
image-3141935223.jpg

There is little known about Goniopora. They don't have a very long tank life because of this.

image-4161551672.jpg

Here's what mine started out looking like.

image-876113628.jpg

I've had it 5 months. It doesn't look that lively anymore. Best of luck with it.

Thanks for the info! Although I'm not sure that makes me feel better.. ;)
I do know that they are extremely sensitive to tank changes. More so than anything else I have (although everything else I have is pretty hardy).

Back
Top Bottom