Unknown disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeter22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help to identify what disease is killing my fish. My tank is a year old and has some live rock as you can see from the picture. My lemon peel angelfish is a year old as well. I've had several fish in the tank in the past year and they all died except for the lemon peel angelfish. I had a case of ick that the broke out three months after the tank was set up. I found the cause of the ick breakout was due to the water temperature being too cold. Since I was new to this hobby and my lfs didn't advise me that the thermometer on the heater could be off, I didn't have a separate thermometer to judge the water temperature. I have since corrected this last February.
I waited a month before I added any fish and my water quality had been good. I checked (and still do) my water every other day and take samples of the water into my lfs. I use the 5 in 1 test strips. My water is always at KH-240, PH-8.0-8.5, NO2-0, NO3-20. My salinity is between 1.023 to just below 1.024 with the temp between 76-79.
In February I added a Blue Jaw Trigger then a couple weeks later a Diamond Goby and then a couple more weeks I added a Flame Hawk.
In May my Trigger stopped eating and swimming. After two weeks I had to euthanize him since towards the end he was laying on his side. He had no other symptoms.
A week later my Flame Hawk died. The Flame Hawk had three white toughs on the back side of his body. I treated the water with prazipro (two treatments). The lemon peel & goby showed no signs of being infected with anything.
In the middle of June I purchased another Blue Jaw Trigger. He adapted to the tank well plus his tank mates (lemon peel, diamond goby). At the beginning of August the diamond goby had some sort of disease that ate away his skin from his lower jaw. He soon died a couple days later. I believe my substrate was too large for him to sift through and cut himself, then the cut got infected.
The Trigger and Lemon Peel showed no signs disease, ate well and normal swimming and daily activities.
October 1ST I added a Lubbock Fairy Wrasse. The Lemon Peel chased him in short bursts at times for a couple days but not excessively. The wrasse was loving his new home, ate great and got along with the lemon peel & trigger after a couple days.
Last week the wrasse started to swim to his right and would even do a barrel roll or hover in circles while while he swam. I again yested the tank with prazipro.
This did not help. He died two days ago. The lemon peel and trigger again showed no signs of disease.
Yesterday evening when I got home, the trigger was hiding and wouldn't come out to eat or swim. Today the trigger is in' a different hiding spot but still won't come out to eat or swim. He doesn't show any outward signs of parasites, no rapid breathing, scratching or cloudy eyes.
I'm afraid he isn't going to make it. I have treated the tank with prazipro and a 15% water change before adding the prazipro yesterday.
Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong for the fish to keep getting sick? Or is it my lfs?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111014_232737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111014_232737.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ForumRunner_20111014_232802.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111014_232802.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20111014_232917.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111014_232917.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20111014_233001.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111014_233001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 108
I had something similar. The biggest fish an swallowtail angel, stopped eating and hid. After two weeks I moved him to qt. He didnt have a mark on him. Physically he looked great. In the end he had a parasite. I took too long to begin treatment.

One thing people forget most SW fish are wild caught and they use poisons to get them. There is a lot of side effects that don't show up for several weeks or even months after the fish has been in a tank.

One thing people forget most SW fish are wild caught and they use poisons to get them. There is a lot of side effects that don't show up for several weeks or even months after the fish has been in a tank.

That may be true, but still doesn't make sense to me. I purchased that angel in May. Then four months later he gets ill. No one else shows any sign of sickness but the king of the tank falls apart. I always thought that an illness would show up in 0-6 weeks not 16 weeks.

That is usually true ,,thats why we QT for a month...Love your blue throat ,,i'm getting one today....Your flame hawk looks overcome with stress or something..
Have you checked for stray voltage in your tank?
Something is obviously affecting these fish ...Aside from the fact a 55 is too small for any trigger ,,you still need to find out what is going on in there...Start with a voltage check

Liver or kidney damage doesn't show up right away. Have you done a postmortem to look for worms or anything like that?

I didn't cut anyone of them open. I did look the fish over very closely. I didn't see any worms or any other signs of parasites. My lfs just keeps telling me that fish do get sick and doesn't offer much more than that for a possible issue I may have with my tank.
After a couple weeks should I purchase a new fish from a different lfs? Also, how do you check to see if the tank is being shocked?

10-12 dollar voltage meter is all you need ..
Not saying it is the issue ,but its always good to know anyway

Back
Top Bottom