Volitan Lion Trouble..Help Needed ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I have a very urgent issue. Im a lover of lionfish, especially volitans...! I have small-medium sized lion in a tank with 2 zebra morays and an undulate trigger..they have been with one another for at least two months and all get along well. my volitan "WAS" a very aggressive eater, chasing down any live food that it saw. But as of two days ago he has paid no attention to any food, all attempts have failed, and just sits at the bottom of the tank motionless. Is he dying? My ammonia is not exactly at 0, and will be doing a water change on my day off (48 hours) but i dont think this is a contributing factor as my trigger and eels are at 110%. can anyone help as i dont want to lose this beautiful fish!! any help will do..! :([/b]

Lions will, on occassion, miss a feeding or two. The fact he stays at the bottom and doesnt swim would concern me more. Is the trigger picking on it? Are your nitrates high by any chance? I know when the nitrates in my eel tank start picking up, their interest in food and activity diminish.
Just some things to consider.

Obviously every tank is different...but my nitrates always run a little high..sometimes 40. But none of my stock ever turned food down, especially the lion. The hanging out on the bottom concerns me as well. I agree that the trigger may be picking on him or maybe the eels. Lions are very hardy fish so I don't think a little ammonia would be too much of a bother depending on the tank size.....now how high is the ammonia is the question?

now how high is the ammonia is the question?
Yup, even a little ammonia can be detrimental.
Thats a lot of messy eater in what you desribe as a medium size tank. What is the tank size?

One of his other posts states he has a 150 liter tank (about 40 US gallons)

what kind of filtration do you have running on it matt?

1500 L per hour canister filter along with a protein skimmer.. trigger and eels not picking on him at all.. nitrates at around 30..ammonia .5 both trigger and eels still eating though.. hes breathing looks fine just sitting at the bottom motionless.. very weird..

hi everyone,

just to let u know that i woke up this morning and he was dead.. one thing i did notice was that when he was alive..he look blind.. usually when theres movement in the water hes eyes dart around.. but hes eyes did not move for a few days.. so maybe these are signs of a slow death.. unfortunately mine is gone.. but others might be able to save their own if this happens to them..!

Back
Top Bottom