Weird Anemone Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFamily

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Have a purple tip condy. It has been pulling all of it's tentacles into it's foot until it looks like an oblong pink balloon. Has anyone ever heard of this behavior?

That sounds like resting behavior. Does it do this during the day? Or just at night?

This would be common behavior at night and nothing to be concerned about. During the day however, could mean something is stressing or irritating it. Can you think of anything consistant with this behavior? Feeding time? What are it's neighbors?

Crickey!

That's over 7 wpg.

Light most CERTAINLY isn't your issue. How are your nitrates?

Eeek, I just got home and took a look at my light - it's actualy 130w - will check water parameters soon and post.

Yeah... that's what I thought. You're looking at about 3.71 wpg. Which would be considered "moderate" light output.

Liveaquaria.com recommends a "high" light output for condys.

I'm guessing you're probably running the same kinda lights as I am? dual 65w PC system?
I have a 30 gallon tank, and am at about 4.33 wpg which is on the higher side of moderate.

You may want to consider boosting your lighting. I
believe 230w is considered "high" output.

I have a Condo in my 40Breeder 196PC lights, he has started to high more than be out...

When I first got him his arms where 7inches, now hes only inflating to about 2"...

I was feeing him I think more than I should have so I am only feeding 3-4days

I knew my Nitrates where bigtime high, 40-60 so I've bee doing some 20% daily water changes and for the moment they are low... so hopefully he'll do better...

Do Condos need special chemicals to thrive? Calcium or anything?

They dont need anymore calcium that a PWC`s will provide. Frequent PWC`s will provide all the chemicals you will need. Good Luck on your endeavour.

Back
Top Bottom