weird fungus on my damsels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
i came home from work yesterday and noticed a wight fungus/mold or something on the four striped damsels. (2) here is some info i hope it helps.

-i have had the fish for half a week now (bought from petco. all my fish are from there by the way. where i had seen another fish a few weeks pryer with the same thing. dont know what kind it was though. not a damsel.) i acclimated him by floating the bag in the water for an hour and then opened it and let a little water in then closed it again and let it float for another half hour. then released. i have used the same procedure with all my fish.
-i have 4 red legged reef hermits, 1 chocolate chip star fish, 1 maroon clown, 1 strawberry dottyback and one condy anemone. (dotty back is afraid of them and hids most of the time. my tank has live rock on both sides. trying to make it look like two different reefs with open sand in the middle. the anemone is on one side and the damsels had already claimed the other side i guess so they havent been stung.
-i have been feeding them new life spectrum marine fish formula 1mm pellets and now i am also feeding mysis shrimp. and they had been eating them. but now they aren't interested in food.
-i am not sure what the water parameters are my test strips arent working properly any more. so im going to get a sample of water and take it in to get tested.
-the fungus stuff seams to be attacking their heads and pectoral fins right now. they are pretty ragged looking. the larger of the two has it more then the other right now and is just hovering over the live rock the other one is still swimming a little. but is hovering alot too.
-i have just bought, today, API pimafix. i have just gave them the first dose of it. it says it rapidly treats fungal infections on body and fins and is safe for delicate fresh and saltwater fish. it also says its all natural and made from west indian bay trees.
-my tank is a 29 gallon. with an external power filter. (i was advised against using an under gravel filter) i have 6 live rocks in the tank 2 mediums and 4 smalls. i also have live sand.

Were the spots white? IF so this is ick and they don't recover and may die if not treated.

yes its white. but ick is suppose to look like small white sand sized spots right? these are just patches where it looks like the fish is rotting. the big one looks like a small chunk of his forhead is missing and his right pectoral fin is pretty bad. but he was swimming around a little so i thought he might be doing better. sadly though the little one died just a few minutes ago. ive been treating them for two days now with API pimafix its suppose to treat fungal infections. any ideas what it is?

Do you have a photo? Sorry for the loss.

the last damsel died last night. i took him out this morning when i found him. :( neither of the other two fish seem to have it. but im going to keep a very close eye on them.

Since they both died im thinking it was ick it will spread if it was sorry again.

but isnt ick sand sized white spots? this actualy looked like white mold like they were rotting. you could kind of see small white tendrils of it.

I think you had a really bad case of ick. Also you said it was concentrated by the fins which is where it usually is. Some other signs were the fish rubbing up against things, were they having trouble breathing(gasping?)or swimming odd? I cant tell you without a picture but ick would be the most common thing. Did they both have it when you got them or did it spread to the other one?

no i didn't see it on either of them when i bought them. it was also on their face. and they were breathing really fast. i didn't notice them scratching on anything but it ate their fins away so ya they were swimming odd. i didn't have a camera or i would have posted a pic.

I Would just keep an eye on all the others and make sure they don't develop ick if that was what it was if they do you need to do a treatment of a copper medication or hyposalinity. Good luck with the other hope you have no more deaths. Keep us informed. Oh and both the treatment methods are not invert safe so anemones and corals need to be removed for treatment or the fish need to be removed. Just keep an eye on em. Hope it turns out well.

Back
Top Bottom