What is happening to my coral!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wazz72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this yellow star coral about a month ago, it was doing really well until I put in some Xenia, then it started to shrivel up and hasnt been out much in the last few days. The only other thing is most of my turbo snails have disappeared (Or become doorways to my pistol shrimps cave). The Xenia shriveled for about 2 days and is now fine, but the star coral hasn't.
I have checked my water, the Nitrate is up to about 8ppm the ammonia is 0, and the Nitrite is 0, have done 2 20% water changes in the last week, and have cut down feeding in the tank.
The tank has around 10 hermits,8 snails (that are laying eggs every few days) a cleaner shrimp, a Pistol shrimp, an orange shoulder tang, tailspot blennie, sunspot gobie, and a mandarin. It contains living rock thats full of life, copiopods are rife. I treat it wit purple up every few days, and feed the corals on zooplankton. There is also loads of culurpra that I have to weed every few weeks as its growing fast.
I have put some pics below and would appreciate any help, as I dont know whats up..
Thanks
Warren.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 98
200 litre, and the lighting is actinic, marine white. Both corals are low light anyway, and are near to the surface. Also replacing them with LED lights this week.

They are the Juwel Marine tubes, for the Juwel system. I have some High output LED lights coming this week. However these corals dont need loads of light. The Xenia is going like mad at the moment, and the tank looks nice and bright.

They might not need a lot of higher lighting but they do need some HO lighting. Normal flourecents will not cut it.

all Xenia corals give off amonia so maby u need a charcole filter of a better protien skimmer not sure about the protien skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom