What is happening to this Acro???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I do not have adequate lighting to allow acros to flourish in my tank. That being said, I accepted some raffle won acros at a recent club meeting. I superglued the two frags to a piece of rubble, and placed them high up in my tank to get the most lighting. For a day or so, they didn't look any worse for wear. Now they look like they are dying very quickly.

I am not really sure what to do with these frags, so please help.

As you can see, their coloring (which was brown before I got it) is "peeling" off the frag. I really don't want these to die if possible.

img_798983_0_86757e4c669a43b2a4ca33525191a5a2.jpg

RTN, or Rapid Tissue Necrosis. It's, unfortanelty, very common...and quite the fast killer.

I don't know of anything that will save them, except for fragging off the infected areas and reattaching the healthy areas.

They had the brown tissue before you got them, you said? You may want to advise the person you won the items from if that is the case, beacuse RTN is spreadable to other SPS corals as far as I know.

Sorry... :(

Well that completely sucks. Thanks for the info Lindsay. All my other corals (not SPS) seem to be fine...in fact, my candy cane has 3 heads that are splitting, so I would guess that that is a happy coral :)

FWIW I would call it STN(slow tissue necrosis). RTN happens in a few hours, STN is over the period of a couple days, possibly weeks. Many times STN or RTN can happen after changes in aquarium chemistry or lighting. Other times for no apparent reason at all. If your tank and/or lighting are not up to par, there isn't much you can do other than find a better home at this point. I would remove them and rum some GAC for a few days if your not already.

Back
Top Bottom