What keeps eating my dartfiah?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I found my my last dartfish half eaten on the sandbed and I don't know why this is happening. I saw him eating yesterday and he looked fine. I don't think I have anything in there that'll try and eat him. I have 4 chromis one little black damsel one bicolor blenny one mandarin goby 2 peppermint shrimp and 3 pretty big emerald crabs. Any ideas? Thanks

Well I don't know if ur dart fish does the same thing as mine but mine likes to sleep under a rock on the sand bed. Maybe one of the crabs got him while he was sleeping. Another thing to consider is the damsel. I had a yellow tail that would not leave my fire fish alone. He practically tore his top fin and back fin off. Needless to say I took him out and now my fire fish is happy and looking good.

F*ck dude you might be right about the damsel, I have the same one. How did you get him out? I had to take out all my rocks to get two pink damsels I put in there. I knew I should've took the **** black one out too.

They are a pain to catch! I would siphon some water out into a large enough container to put your rock into so you don't wind up with die off then catch the little monster and take him back to your lfs. It could have been an emerald crab too. Crabs are opportunistic and if they can grab it they will eat it. Sorry you lost those fish.

Gotta agree with the other guy. I only have a biocube so it wasn't that hard to take the rock out. That's what I did then I cornered him with two nets. Never again will I get a damsel or six line wrasse.

I'm really annoyed by the fact I might have to do all that to get the damsel out considering I never saw him bother the firefish. It could very well be the crabs cause he was all eaten up and one day I saw the firefish on the sandbed under a rock and I thought he was dead so I went to scoop him out and then he suddenly woke up and took off so I'm sure the crab could've got him if he was like that.. Thanks guys, I guess I'll just stay away from buying more for now

My hermit crabs never bothered my fire fish when he was sleeping. And I have a small red legged hermit crab and a huge red with white spots hermit crab and they leave my fish alone. Snails are another story though lol

Maybe u have a mantis shrimp in there . Happened to a friend of mine.its was a high hiker on a piece of live rock he bought and he didn't no it was there.ate a cpl fish and a few weeks later he noticed it

Back
Top Bottom