what killed my Cleaner shrimp (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewInTown

Aquarium Advice Activist
:( I cant figure out what happened to my cleaner shrimp.
I was topping of the tank after work today. about one gallon. and my cleaner shrimp was out and looking normal. 2-3 hours later I found him in the hands of two of my hermits. I pulled him out and put him in a dish for pic's and a closer look but he was already gone. I tested all water parameters and everything is a+. I have two blood shrimp in their two
and their both doing fine. what gives? it looks like all of his organs turned
black. but what are the black sploshes? HELP

Attachments

• cleaner.jpg
    cleaner.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 134
  • cleanerdead2.jpg
    cleanerdead2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 135
I had a cleaner that had the same problem. fortunately, mine lived but the black remained until several molts took place. The only thing I could think of was I was getting a bit "relaxed" w/ my water changes, so possibly my iodine levels were low. FWIW, I also had two other shrimp (cleaners) at the time that were not affected. Do you do regular partial water changes? If so how much and how often? Just a guess....

yes I do water changes at around 10-15% every 7-10 days. just did one three days ago. I changed from oceanic to instant ocean salt. I was having problems with the oceanic salt mix containing high phosphate levels. :?

NewInTown said:
yes I do water changes at around 10-15% every 7-10 days. just did one three days ago. I changed from oceanic to instant ocean salt. I was having problems with the oceanic salt mix containing high phosphate levels. :?
Your water change schedule is "ok". It may have been the change in salt mixes. When switching salt brands it is best to introduce the new salt very slowly. There are minute changes in chemistry made by switching salt mix that can adversely affect the inverts in your tank. Slow is better. This is just my speculation as to what happened to the shrimp...Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom