Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Whatís wrong with my clownfish??! :(

Hey everyone Iím new here! I have a 40 gallon saltwater with 6 clownfish, 2 blue dansels and some hermies of course!

I have 3 black & white clowns and 3 orange/black/white clowns, one of my orange guys is getting bullied. They all fight and nip at each other but him in particular is the smallest and he is constantly hiding in the tree and whenever he tries to come out they nip him. However he is still eating and still gets lots of food when I feed them they donít bully him away from food! He seems very discoloured to me, heís very pale and translucent and Iím worried heís sick. His fins also look like they have fin rot or maybe they are just nipping his fins?? I have added a photo comparing him to one of my other clowns (sick guys on the right) you can notice the difference in colour and transparency.

Please any advice would be very appreciated I donít know what to do and donít want my little guy to die on me ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4145.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	318655

Old 11-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Whatís wrong with my clownfish??!

6 clownfish is a lot for one tank! I would separate them ASAP. Having more than 1 pair of clownfish in a tank can create lots of agression and while clownfish themselves arenít very aggressive to other fish, having that many in a tank is a blood bath. Itís likely that the little guy is being picked on and is under a lot of stress. If you have any QT tanks i would recommend you separate them into pairs! Also make sure you donít have two different kinds of clownfish together, that can also create lots of agression. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Whatís wrong with my clownfish??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenb3568 View Post
6 clownfish is a lot for one tank! I would separate them ASAP. Having more than 1 pair of clownfish in a tank can create lots of agression and while clownfish themselves arenít very aggressive to other fish, having that many in a tank is a blood bath. Itís likely that the little guy is being picked on and is under a lot of stress. If you have any QT tanks i would recommend you separate them into pairs! Also make sure you donít have two different kinds of clownfish together, that can also create lots of agression. Good luck!

Omg the guy at the aquarium place told me 6 was fine! He even thought I should get more!! I have 3 b&w and 3 orange & white so Iím not sure if those are different kinds? The b&w arenít Picasso clowns thatís all I know lol I have another tank itís only 5 gallons tho would they be fine to put in there itís really small? Or do u think a divider would work in the tank? I could divide the black guys and the orange guys? I feel so bad for the little guy being bullied I need to help him! I think they are fighting a lot right now cuz they are tryna dominate and find the female the fish have been in there for like 3 ish months so itís a fairly new aquarium. Thanks so much for your help I appreciate it!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3928.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	318657
Old 11-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by breannabigelli View Post
Omg the guy at the aquarium place told me 6 was fine! He even thought I should get more!! I have 3 b&w and 3 orange & white so Iím not sure if those are different kinds? The b&w arenít Picasso clowns thatís all I know lol I have another tank itís only 5 gallons tho would they be fine to put in there itís really small? Or do u think a divider would work in the tank? I could divide the black guys and the orange guys? I feel so bad for the little guy being bullied I need to help him! I think they are fighting a lot right now cuz they are tryna dominate and find the female the fish have been in there for like 3 ish months so itís a fairly new aquarium. Thanks so much for your help I appreciate it!Attachment 318657

I would divide the tank up and only put two clownfish together. If you split them into pairs of 3, eventually 2 of the clownfish will pair up and likely attack the other one. I wouldnít use the 5 gallon as a long term solution, however you could put the injured one in there and give him some time to heal by himself. Damsel fish can also be pretty agressive- so watch out for those little guys! I also wouldnít divide the tank as a long term solution, however you should definitely separate the clownfish until you come up with a plan. Good luck, I know fish agression can be very hard on you and your fish- I wish you the best!
Old 11-18-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd suggest looking into our articles section. It'll go over getting started and cycling, as this also isn't a cycled tank with enough rock needed.
As for damsels being aggressive, it is true, but clownfish are also damsels. Either way I doubt they were trying to teach you how to do a fish in cycle. But we'll need to get 1 lbs per gallon of rock in the tank and keep doing water changes every time time you get an ammonia or nitrite reading.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not going to work. Get them out of there and back to the store. You'll have a lot of death in there. Clowns look cute but they're vicious.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How did this turn out? The fish looks dehydrated and atrophied. Perhaps an infection of the gill and gut. Like humans bulled fish are stressed which lowers the immune response and they get sick.

Tags
clown, clownfish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com