What should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My gf has a tank that has just finished cycling. So far there is one turbo snail, 4 crabs. One brittle starfish and a three striped damsel( we did not cycle with the fish. we used raw shrimp) any way just the other day the damsel was kinda picking on one of the crabs. Well after doing a water change I could not find the damsel. About ten min later he comes out with a large chunk missing out of his head. Literally there is a piece missing out of his body. Well we placed. Breeder tank In her tank to net him off from the rest of the tank. Well today when we were at work a crab got into the breeder tank and took one of the damsels eyes.. :(what should I do with him? He is still alive but I can tell he is not doing well.

What kind of crabs do you have? Are you sure there is no hitchhiker crab or mantis in your tank?

Good point joy, Do you hear any clicking sounds coming from your tank at night? Why do you have so many crabs in your tank? Are they Hermit crabs?

We got a large piece of live rock for a really good deal at petco. It is covered In corals and it came with the starfish... But also the crabs. They are all green and kinda small. They almost look like a fiddler crab.

Kind of sounds like he has a few small emerald crabs. I've never had any issue with them picking on fish, but I think others on here have.

Some emerald crabs are not true emerald crabs...plus some can become aggressive and attack fish. I would return all the crabs to the pet store, hitchhiker crabs and usually bad. Do the crabs have black tipped claws? Or hairy legs?

Hairy legs. Yeah typically they're not aggressive but when a damsel attacks them I think they get aggressive.... Well today as an update the fish did die. :(

You have to be very careful as to what you add to that tiny tank of yours.Do you hear a clicking sound at night?

Clicking? No I do not. Everything is going well with the tank. Buy we are thinking on removing the crabs and putting In some soft corals and 2 clown fish. Once the fish get big enough we are going to move them to my 60gal tank

Back
Top Bottom