what should we do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkilgore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What should we do, I am at a lose. We had a ich break out 10 days ago. We started a treatment with kick ick the first and the fourth day. we were told that kick ich was not a good choice to treat this problem. So we did a 30% water change and we started the next day treating with greenex every other day for 5 days. Today we noticed that also our yellow tang has ick. At this point we don't know what to do. Our water values are as follows:
Temp: 82, PH: 8.2, Nitrite: 0.1 -1, Nitrate: 15, Ammonia: 0.50 Now we will do a water change, we will try for at least another 30%, that all we have available now, but what after that? We are scare that waiting will kill our fish as well if we start with another treatment.
Daniela

are you treating your entire tank or are you using a quarentine. If you can quarentine them it will make things a little easier. You can read up on this real quick regarding quarentines. It's based on quarentines for new fish, but is just as applicable for treating sick fish. Amonia is bad at any level. give us a little more info on your tank:

Tank Size:
Inhabitants:
Filtration:
Type: Reef/FO/FOWLR

we'll do our best to help

I do have a quarantine tank but it is not cycled yet so we are using the main tank, to do the treatments. It would be a problem to trying to catch them. We have a 220 gal, uv, protein skimmer, wet dry, dsb, lr. We currently have a powder blue, yellow, hawaian naso, regal tang, tomato clown, bicolor psuedochromis, 5 green chromis, 3 neon gobies, mandarin goby, a coral banded shrimp, camel shrimp, blue legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, sally lightfoot crab, green brittle starfish, rock anomoe, green mushroom. We had a scarlet cleaner, but we have not seen it since the treatment began.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

In future if you need to switch treatments like that (which I don't recommend), always make sure you run carbon for a full day as well as the the water change first. Chemical interactions between the two "cures" can easily do more damage than the problem you are trying to cure. With the size of the tank you are trying to treat, the greenex could easily poison the system if proper volume displacement is not calculated correctly. Either way these types of "quick cures" are hit and miss.

Who is the manufacturere of the "kick ick"? The only one I have ever found effective is made by Fishvet. Also known as Ecolibrium or No-Ick.

Trying to catch that many fish is indeed a daunting task. One more reason to QT new arrivals.. 8O

You do not need to cycle the QT. It can be easily kick started with some media from the display tanks filtration, a corner filter and heater. Then using water from the main tank to fill the QT will allow for a match of salinity and PH that will greatly reduce shock in the transfered fish. Once the temp is stable you are good to go. Just stay ontop of water changes for possible ammonia traces, the rest will come along shortly.

With that many fish to treat, I would personally go with hyposalinity. It would greatly reduce the chances of fish loss. Be very mindful of alk and PH during the salinity drop, with that many fish it will be more of a concern than normal.

Also keep in mind that the display tank must stay empty for 4 weeks in order to be sure the parasite is eradicated. Adding fish back any sooner and you will risk re-infection...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom