Whats wrong with corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim D

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me whats wrong with corals in my tank. PH 8.2- 8.4, ammonia 0, nitrate0.5, nitrite 0. My corals don't seem to open. Mushrooms shrivelled up, polyp's only some opening a little bit and now the rock that they are on is breaking up, xenia shrivelled up and died although 2 camel shrimps or a dragon wrasse may have been responsible for that. I am using ro water with kent sea salt at 1.025 approx. They used to look great but now look terrible. tried a new bit of a mushroom coral that looked good for 2 days then it went the same way. Can you help me get to the bottom of this. :( I am fairly new to hobby. Tank 30 gallon is about 9 months old now. About 30-35 Lbs LR. Shallow livesand bed. Berlin skimmer. Powerhead.

The camel shrimp should be your main concern. They are definately not reef safe and will munch on corals. Aside from that, how is your chemistry, temp and what is the lighting?

Cheers
Steve

2 off 2ft T5 tubes, 1off 2ft actinic, temp 76cent, don't now about water chemistry apart from the readings I gave already,

76° is a tad chilly, I would up that a few degrees. 80° would be a much better temp. The T5's should be okay for lighting with these kinds of corals unless the corals are placed too near the surface. They could be getting frazzled depending on placement.

By chemistry I meant the alk and Ca. Although they will not be too much of a concern with coral growth in this instance, terribley skewed chemistry can easily play havoc on all life in the tank.

Personally I would still be suspecting the shrimp as the main culprits without any additional info.

Cheers
Steve

Don't think I have placed corals wrongly although I thought they required good lighting. I had a problem with ICH and I used a treatment called exodin and I wondered If mabye didn't help although instructions said reef safe.

Also seem to be getting a problem with my substrate getting a covering of brown algae and also some of my live rock....does that tell you anything

Jim D said:
Don't think I have placed corals wrongly although I thought they required good lighting.
The corals you listed above are moderate need as far as lighting is concerned. Midway in the tank or a bit higher for the Xenia and midway or lower for the Ricordia.

I had a problem with ICH and I used a treatment called exodin and I wondered If mabye didn't help although instructions said reef safe.
Not familiar with their product and the Aquamedic website was of no help either. FWIW, no med should be considered safe to use in the main tank no matter the manufacturers claims. Does the bottle list the active in the Exodin?

Cheers
Steve

Nope....made by aqualine germany. lost instructions

Hi Steve-s
Gotta get to bed now for work in morning but if you any other idea's please let me know as I would love to get my aquarium back to normal.........cheers bud

Other than residuals from the med (which carbon and water changes will remove) or the shrimp, I can't think of anything else without additional info, sorry....

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom