Whats wrong with my clowns tail???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
]Yesterday noticed a weird spot on the white part of my clowns tail. It is not really a spot, it looks more like a growth on the inside that is red and pussy looking. Today when I got home it was even bigger and now it is coming through the top of his skin and it is white around it. He is acting fine otherwise and everything else in the tank is normal. I am thinking that maybe it is a cut from a rock or my urchin or maybe he got in a fight with another fish. Anyway if any one has any ideas what it could be and how I should go about treating it please help me. I am posting a pic but it is not very good. He's very fast and hard to photograph. TIA!![/size]

we really need a pic. How long in the system? What are your water parameter? What is your other stock and is anyone picking on him?

I cant figure out how to post a picture. I think that the file size created by my digital camera is too large to upload. Anyway, the clown has been in the system for about 4 months. All of the parameters are fine and the tank (72 gal) has been up and running for about 9 months. The other fish I have in there with him are 2 chromis, a coral beauty and a fire fish. None of these are overlly agressive fish, but I have seen the clown go after the chromis when they get near his anenome. If anyone can tell me how to post a pic I will do my best to get one posted. Thanks!

Your best option is water changes. Even if your parameters are "all fine", opportunistic bacteria is fed from DOC which is at the beginning of the nitrogen cycle. Reduce the DOC and the fish's own immune system should take care of the rest as long as the foods fed are properly nutritious. Wouldn't hurt to soak the foods in a good liq marine vitamin beforehand.

A few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW every second day for 7-10 days should see some improvement. Meds are rarely if ever needed for something of this nature unless advanced or parasitic which this does not sound like so far.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom