Whats wrong with this moonstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked this up from a bargain coral tank...Can anyone shed some light on:

1. The two black spots

2. The bleached white left corner

Attachments

• moon1_211.jpg
    moon1_211.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 117
  • moon2_490.jpg
    moon2_490.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 168
Looks like both spots are bleaching. Keep a close eye on it to make sure the bleaching doesn't spread. If it does, you will have to frag off the infected areas.

That doesn't look bleached to me. Looks like either RTN or STN (either Rapid or Slow Tissue Narcrosis) depending on how fast it's loosing it's flesh. I don't see any flesh for it to be bleached. Looks like dead skeleton.
Black part may be the same thing, dead skeleton that is just dark from algea.

I think it would be a little premature to diagnose a malady such as RTN without knowing any history of the coral considering none was provided, especially given that particular necrosis and/or degeneration of tissue is uncommon other than corals with thin tissue (Acroporiids, Pocillipora spp., Galaxia spp., etc). In addition, rapid tissue necrosis can consume, if not do consume, entire colonies within hours/days leaving little hope for offensive remedies other than fragmentation. However, the first thing that did come to mind was sediment damage. These corals are often mistakenly placed upon substrate where the surrounding tissue is smothered. You can see the tissue margins around the "points" of the skeletal base. Where was this coral located at the lfs and what other corals, if any, were surrounding it? As for the holes, possible predation from a fish, depending on what else was in the tank where it came from, polyp extrusion, or a boring predator.

whew....hehehehe

I still say it's not bleached and the tissue is gone exposing dead skeleton. I would also consider, even tho I don't claim to be a marine biologist, a favites sp...which is what I believe this is, to be "thin skinned" as opposed to the fleshy LPS like hammers, frogspawns, torch, plate etc.

The 2 "Black Holes" have not grown. Maybe something stung it when it was in the tank at the LFS.

The white bleached areas on the left egde and right edge have now colored up to an all green. So..other than the black spots..it looks like it's recovering well.

I've noticed the last 2-3 days that there are long tentacles with a white tip coming out from all over this coral, it almost looks hairy. I know these are the corals tentacles, but why are they out during the day...I thought they only came out at night.

I'm guessing they're out right after you feed your fish.

I've noticed that from time to time with my brain coral (platygyra). I take it as a sign that it's hungry and usually will give it a snack that night. I normally feed it once a week, but maybe just like the rest of us, it gets a little more hungry from time to time?

I know my open brain will show its tentacles whenever food is in the tank, then pull them back in about 30 minutes later.

Cool little things!

I'm guessing they're out right after you feed your fish?

I've noticed that from time to time with my brain coral (platygyra). I take it as a sign that it's hungry and usually will give it a snack that night. I normally feed it once a week, but maybe just like the rest of us, it gets a little more hungry from time to time?

I know my open brain will show its tentacles whenever food is in the tank, then pull them back in about 30 minutes later.

Cool little things!

(sorry for the double post there. Thought I was just "editing" but something weird must've happened.)

Now is this a sign that the coral is not getting enough food? I was under the impression that corals got all they needed from the water column and lighting.

I don't know if it really means they're hungry... that's just how I've interpreted it. I've never read it anywhere... but since it's a means of acquiring food or defending itself, I've just assumed "hungry."

Regarding corals getting all they need from the water column and lighting, I think that's one of those blanket statements that has a lot of assumptions built in. I'm sure it's true for some folks, and not true from others. If you think about it, if you're a sloppy feeder, and your tank parameters are not that pristine, and you don't have a skimmer or use any carbon, then you probably have plenty for the corals to feed on. (Assuming your water isn't so disgusting that the corals just up and die on you to start with!) But if you go the other way, and your water is stripped of any suspended nutrients at all, then I can see where maybe the corals might want more to sustain themselves. It seems like it's a really delicate balancing act.

My only suggestion is go with your gut, but don't overdo it. I remember you had excess nutrient issues in the beginning and you were probably overdosing on the food. If you're like me, you probably swung back too far the other way, not wanting it to happen again. For me, it really boils down to watching your corals and seeing how they respond to certain feeding regimines over several weeks. All corals don't have the same needs. My platygyra gets feed once a week, at the most. It's growing like a weed. My torch and open brain though, they seem to like meaty stuff once every 4-5 days or so. It's hard to really describe, but I tried feeding them just once a week and they just didn't seem as "happy" as when I fed them more often. I didn't have any water quality issues with the 4-5 day schedule, so that's what I've stuck with.

Not sure if that really answers your question, but at least that's my take of it.

Kurt,

When I feed the tank I shut down the main pump and wait for the sump to stop filling before I feed. I leave the PHs on to blow the food around. The pump stays off for 20 - 40 minutes so everything has time to feed.

I only feed the tank every 2 -3 days and the anemone gets target fed some bits of silverside once a week. That the only thing that gets target fed in my tank.

As for the Favites, this is from the link that Mike posted ... " It will also benefit from the addition of supplemental food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp, fed twice per week in the evening while its tentacles are visible."

Back
Top Bottom