White dots on LR and Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Basically, I've had this tank for about 6-8 months now. It's pretty much established. I do about 40% water changes every 2-3 weeks because I had a bad algae issue. Anyway, besides the algae problem, I've got new problem. Just yesterday I took a look at this castle thing that inside of the tank, well on it's underside were this flurry of white dots. Kinda grouped close. I tested the water and it's fine, everything was 0 except nitrates were at about 5-10. These dots are not on the top of the castle, they're also on the LV but only on the bottom side which is in the shade. I don't understand, is this normal? also, the tank has them but only very few places like behind the heater or behind the filter intake pipe. Any clues?
Fish are all fine, except the tomato clown likes to stay behind the water heater at the surface for some reason.
The tank is a 50 gallon. I've got a 1 inch flasher wrasse, 1.5" percula clown, 1.5" tomato clown, 2" royal gramma, 1" pink clown, 1" Yellow tailed damsel, about 3 Nassarius Snails (I think, although liveaquaria swears they are bumble bee snails, yeah right, bumble bee snails my *butt*)
and one very fiesty little yellow tang, about 3" in length. Yeah I know, I'm just keeping him for little longer until my friend gets his 90g established, he'll take it then. Any ideas?

If the dots are smooth and roundish and about 1/8" they are probably nerite snail eggs. If the dots resemble little spirals they are probably calcareous tube worms.

How big are the dots and are there any other defining characteristics (off color, shape, size, hairstyle)

Just white. About the size of a pinhead and they don't come off easily. I was trying to take one of the castle thing. It won't come off, I used the opposite end of a spoon to scrape it off.

If the dots resemble little spirals they are probably calcareous tube worms.

DSCN5427.jpg

no, not good or bad, normal ;) If what you have is the same things that are in the picture...they are filterfeeding calcerous tube worms as pointed out by snapcrackler.

I think clean is too strong a word, they filter feed. If there is nothing in the water for them to eat, they will die off on their own. I think it is more trouble to try and remove them from the rocks than any asthetic benefit you might gain. They are simply a part of the ecosystem your building in your home ;)

Back
Top Bottom