White film on water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantareadio

Aquarium Advice Activist
The surface water has this white film which it never had before....I tried moving a power head to agitate the surface a little but it didn't help. In the overflow it looks like it's a lil more than film...kind developed a skin. Anyone know what's up?

It's my understanding that water will get a film from a build up of fish poop and other stuff. Protein Skimmers are used to remove this but a partial water change should also take care of it. Someone who knows a little more may chime in.

+1 I agree, it's just build up of excess proteins, either a pwc or just run a sheet of kitchen towel over the surface of the water. A4 paper works too if your out of kitchen roll.

A skimmer is the permanent answer if your not bang on with water changes, which we can all get lax on, but generally it won't harm the fish if you do regular-ish water changes.

Just a pain doing them...I'd mix my own but I don't have RO

Agreed, keep plenty of flow in the water to elevate the broken down food and detritus and add a skimmer. By doing this and removing crap from the water it wont harm to be a few days behind on water changes the odd time but overall the more regularly you do a PWC the better for your system.

I hear ya. I do them, it's just my least favorite thing.
I think the film MAY have been caused from a sea slug dying? I hear they can release toxins if they die...

Back
Top Bottom