White fuzzy on Hippo, don't think it's Velvet..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 2" hippo tang in QT for almost a week now. He's been eating since the day after he was introduced. Feeding him frozen cyclops mixed with mysis soaked in selcon. He also has been nibbling on Nori.

He's been acting surprisingly well, out swimming around, not skittish like most hippo's I've read about. Anyway, today I noticed several small white fuzzy patches on his sides. He doesn't appear to be scratching, breathing heavy, or showing any signs of marine velvet. Could this be some type of bacterial infection? What should I do at this point?

Tank is a 10g that is used for QT, cycled for around 6 weeks with a bio-wheel filter and some ceramic rings.

Temp 80
SG 1.025
PH 8.0

Yes I believe these fuzzy patches are usually bacterial or viral infections. You will probably need to treat with maracyn. Can you get a pic so we can be sure? Make sure of PWC`s in QT so as not to stress further. Maybe others can chime in with more experience.

afishyonados said:
Investigate images of Lymphocystis.

That's when they get white clumps usually on fins that just fall off after a while right?

This is white little spots, they are not round or even clumps really, just kinds look like a tiny litle ball of spider webs or soemthing. They are very small, maybe a little larger than a pencil tip. I dont think I can get a good picture but I'll try today.

Lower salinity may discourage the infection. If anything it will raise the ability for the water to hold oxygen in it. How do you feel about hyposalination? Maybe not really that extensive or drastic, but you get the idea...

I've used hypo before for ick...never heard of it working for this sort of problem.

I can't decide if I should treat with Maracyn II or Nitrofuazone...any suggestions?

I was looking at the new Aquarium Pharm medication and they have pretty good description/pics on the boxes. They also have a fungus cure which is kinda what my fish looks like it has but according to Wet Web Media Fugus infections are very rare and almost always a bacteriacl infection.

Any suggestions on medications...I'd really like to start treamtent today as he's getting a little worse.

Mardel products are always good. Maracyn 2.
Bacterial infections are usually related to lower oxygen content in the water, that was why I suggested the lower salinity.

Back
Top Bottom