white on the gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a coral beauty (still in quarantine) that has developed a white mark on his gill. It is actually on the small gill wing that comes off of all angels. Is appears as if its an injury, but I'm worried that it's a sign of some disease? Anybody know this to be a symptom of anything? Possibly Velvet?

Hard to tell can you get another pic?
any other signs? Is she eating, active?

Very active and eats just fine. No signs of illness besides the white. I just noticed this I felt it might have been brought on by the stress of a new home and is now beginning to show signs. I want to treat as soon as possible if it is Velvet.

I've seen velvet, actually treated my fish for it and I don't blame you.
Just can't tell from the pic, Velvet is a tough one to call. Once the signs hit, its usually in the later stages. Is there any "misting" on the caudel fins?

Still hard to tell, but with the lack of symtoms and from what I can tell, it doesn't look live velvet. Its good that she's in qt.
Just watch her close and if anything develops, stand by with the copper.
Also keep water quality high, but I'm sure you know that.
I think you are OK. The fact that she is eating is an excellent sign.

If it is some type of disease or maybe a fungus how long should I leave it in the QT? Should I treat with anything or just see how it plays out? I'm not a big fan of adding chemicals to my tanks.

With out a better pic it is hard to tell. I have treated for ich, velvet, brooklynella and a bacteria infestion and from what I can tell, its none of the above.
I would keep him in qt for "at least" a month total. Unless symtoms develop beyond what you have already seen, then it would be extended.

I think it'd be hard to describe vevlet as a single white mark. I'd describe it as more of a sugar dusting. You'd most likely first see it on the pec fins when looking straight on at the fish.

Back
Top Bottom