white spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlng3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new fish only tank with a blue tank and 2 clownfish but one of the clown has white spots on the fins. The ammonia level is rising since I introduced the clowns. Nitrites is 0 but ammonia has risen to 0.5. The tank is 150 litres. What is the best course of action?

Need to get that ammonia down first. That may be stressing out the fish and causing the white spots. I would do a large water change and recheck the level. If that doesn't do it, do another change. The ammonia need to be 0.
Do you have any live rock? Sound like your tank is not done cycling yet. If you don't have any rock, you may want to consider getting some fully cured rock from you lfs.
Keep an eye on those white spots too. If you see them getting worse, you may have to treat for parasite.
Good luck!!

Thanks. I do not have any live rocks. I was told that introducing a live rock will increase the ammonia.
Is it good to treat the parasite now or after the ammonia is down to 0?

I would do the water change first and get the ammonia down. That may be causing the fish stress and this can help bring on the spots.
I would definitely get some "cured" rock. If you can't get cured, you can get uncured and cure it in a separate container like a garbage can with a powerhead for circulation. Once you have cured rock in your tank, the nitrifying bacteria from the rock will break down the ammonia on its own and the tank will be cycled.

Has this tank gone through the nitrogen cycle yet or are you using the fish to cycle the tank?
If the latter, please ask the lfs if they will take back the fish until the tank has cycled. You should then go the articles section section and read How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish.

Next, read the article on Quarantine.

Do the white spots look like 'rice'? See the photo HERE

If it is marine Ich and you do not have any inverts in the tank, you should be able to treat with Hyposalinity.

HTH,

the problem is probably "ich". Believe me, if this becomes rampant, it'll ruin your tank. every fish will get it and die. It is literally the plague of the marine aquarium. if there are no invertebrates in your tank (ie shrimp, anemones etc.) you're best course of action is to treat the tank with a copper based medication. kent makes a good one called marine rx. treat this and treat it fast.

Kent RP-x is seriously nasty stuff and not something I would recommend to anyone for any reason unless an FO tank and even then only as a last resort. There are so many restrictions when using this product it's scary. I would suggest you read on >>their website<<

I would read the link provided by cmor1701d :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I still wouldn't treat the main. What if you want inverts someday? Copper is a bear to get all the way out. QT tank is the answer.

Back
Top Bottom