White spots - but not on the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limitup

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting to notice small white spots on the sides of my tank, on some corals, on snail shells', etc. - but no spots on the fish which would indicate ich. Is this some kind of fungus or algea? Calcium deposits? Or ??

If they move they're copepods. If stationary they may be spirorbid worms. Not too likely you'll see tomonts without having the fish become infested.

Cheers
Steve

Should I be concerned or just let it be for now? It seems to be slowly increasing...

No need for concern. The first time I saw those things in my tank, I was freaking. They have been there ever since. :wink:

Look real close. Are they spiral looking? Like a little shell? :wink:

Hard to tell. I tried to scrape a few off but they just crumble. They almost look like tiny pieces of sand. I'll try to find a big one and get a closer look ...

i have just noticed some tiny flea like white pods on my glass recently which i know are just pods but i have also noticed some bigger white spot that seem stationary with small hair like tenticles..what are these???they are also on my rock

that doesnt look like them to me...they look like they have the little hairs all the way around them...and they are white alittle bigger than the white pods u see on the glass...thanks for the pic though...anyother suggestions? or pics

I think you are right - I just got a good glimpse at a few of them and they do look like those spiral worms ... really tiny ones. They just came out of nowhere the past few days and really seem to be increasing. Is it something that comes and goes? Where do they come from? If they become too plentiful is there someting I can do to get rid of them or slow them down? At this rate in another week or two they are going to be everywhere! The tank is about 3 months old BTW.

Back
Top Bottom