white spots on acan's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are these white spots on my Acans? How do I get rid of them? I noticed them today when I went to turn on the lights to my QT tank. I'll admit I haven't kept the qt tank up to par since I've been busy at work then the one weekend I planned on doing major tank cleanings(qt, 29bc and 110g) my family shows up from DC and I get stuck showing them around NY. the acans are now in my 29g BC. should I remove them and do some type of coral dip? I had them in a QT tank with different types of zoo's and a daisy coral(I think that's the name of it.) I wish I could get a closer pic but my camera doesn't let me zoom in too much.

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
The white spots are on the acan before or after the move to the 29g? Do you have fish in the 29g? might be sand?

They were there before the move. I have two clown fish in my 29 and 3-4 shrimp. I say 3-4 shrimp since I can't find my peppermint shrimp anywhere. I didn't have sand in the qt tank. They looked great the day before when I went down to the basement to turn the lights on. Could it be some type of parasite?

Do they dissappear if you disturb the coral? Brush the acan and see if they dissappear. Do they move at all?

Do they dissappear if you disturb the coral? /QUOTE]
They don't disappear or move. I tried brushing the coral then I tried to fan the coral very quickly to let the water flow over it and see what happened. Nothing. Funny thing is I have two acans tha thave the same spots. both were in the same qt tank but they were nowhere near each other. what gives. These Acans are pricey, so I don't want to lose them.

I wish you could get a closer pic also. Hard for me to see it. Have you tested your water to rule that out.

I tested the water in the qt tank with some test strips. I had elevated nitrites so I'm doing a PWC tomorrow also. The funny thing is my zoo's are doing good. they usually don't open up if the water is off. I'll do a PWC in the 29 too. I'll try to get a closer pic. I'll see how can get a pic from the top to see if that helps.

Get rid of the test strips and get a good liquid test kit. The test strips are far from accurate

my 29 is 7 months old. my qt tank was about 3 months old.
Kurt
the spots are hard to see in the pic. they almost looked like the parasite that attacks clams but I spoke to someone at my LFS and he told me there isn't any parasites that attack Acans. Well right now I think the Acans are a total loss!:(
they're completely white, receded, and I see no way that there still alive. only time will tell i guess.

Well your LFS is dumb because coral can and do get parasites/diseases.

Back
Top Bottom