white spots on my nemo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi steve,
just a quick question:
In my fish tank the white gravel/stones are turning brown and so is the fake reef...is this just algae :?:

Cheers Nanci :eek:

Diatom algae is common in newer tanks. Do not concern yourself with it just yet. As the tank ages and is ready to add cleaning animals (snails and such) it will subside on it's own. Remember to use pure water sources like RO and you will have less problems as the tank progresses.

Cheers
Steve

melissfish said:
does anyone know how big my clarkii clownfish will grow
Provided the clarkii is housed in an aquarium large enough to prevent stunting, it should grow to about 4ish inches in length. They also have a habit of putting on a fair amount of "bulk" as well.

CHeers
Steve

Hi Steve,
I went to a fish store and they told me i have to by the protein skimmer and that snails won't do much....whatever! and they said that the protein skimmer cost $375! thats crazy! especially for my tank! its small....anyway i got fed up with them and went to another fish store and they told me i can put a sea urchin in my fish tank and they will eat the algae....
my question is--
is it cool for me to put a sea urchin in my fish tank with my nemos? i mean will it harm it? since its got so many spikes...just don't want it hurting my nemos.....
and is the reason why i have brown algae build up is because i have nitrate in my water?
is it cool for me to by the sea urchin or a snail? or both? :?:

ur help is much appreciated....

Nanci:)

LOL.. gotta love the LFS money machine. Nitrates unto themselves will not really cause algae as much as fuel their growth. Imported water impurites are moreso the cause. Silicates in your case are a major contributor to brown algaes/diatoms. Usually introduced from impure water soucres like tap water and as mentioned common with new tanks. Regular water changes with good RO water should ease thing considerabley in short time.

Snails are always a good choice to have unless a predatory tank. Your clowns will have no objection and should be a good addition. I would suggest a few different species to add diversity. Each one will typically do better in a given area. Nassarius, cerith, trochus, turbo, nerite and margarita are good choices. About 1 snail for each 1½-2 gallon of tank. For your tank I would stick to smaller species like nerite, nassarius and cerith if available.

In such a small tank (26 lt?), I would not suggest an urchin. It would quickly starve and it's death would easily foul the tank. If a much larger tank it could be possible depending on species. There are several that actively hunt and can catch the "unaware" at night when sleeping.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that...i'll get the ones that you have recomended.
By the way what is reverse osmosis water?

Cheers,

Nanci
:wink:

Oh i forgot 2 mention, when i do my water change (once every week), I use the salt water that i buy from the fish store. They said the salt water comes straight from the sea so i don't need to add anything to it when i do my water change.

gizmo said:
By the way what is reverse osmosis water?
Reverse osmosis is a way of filtering impurities from tap and other water sources. You can read about it <<here>>. It's use can be very important if the tap water in your area is high in unwanted elements which is usually the case.

gizmo said:
Oh i forgot 2 mention, when i do my water change (once every week), I use the salt water that i buy from the fish store. They said the salt water comes straight from the sea so i don't need to add anything to it when i do my water change.
Other than being sure their water is free of nitrates, phosphates, silicates and other impurities you really do not need to do much else other than monitor the alk/Ca and be sure it has a proper ph. Even though using a pre-preped water for your water changes, you still need a pure water source for topping of evaporation.

Cheers
Steve

Just purchased a turbo and a trochus and they are working wonders :D
Thanks for your help steve!

Hi Steve,

Got a quick question. I purchased 2 turbos. I noticed that the 2 turbos are always stuck together. I have separeted them numerous time and they still end up being stuck together (one on top of the other) is that a problem or they just mating or something :?:

Nanci

gizmo said:
they just mating or something :?:
One of the two or possibley just coincedence. Not anything you should be concerned about though. :p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom