Why always me? camallanus worms.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, this just SUCKS. I just noticed my raccoon butterfly has 3 red worms sticking out of his anus. They look just like camallanus worms, but can saltwater fish get them too? Because it looks exactly like it. I have no idea what to do. I've been reading and supposedly I need some hard core meds to kill these worms, but what kind? Has anyone dealt with them in saltwater? I can't lose this fish, he's just a baby. He eats well and responds to me when I walk by and stick my fingers in the tank.

Now there's nothing sticking out. Is it normal for the worms to come in and out of his butt?

I'm about to order some powdered levamisole HCI on eBay. Can someone confirm that this is the right route for saltwater?

Just ordered some levamisole off of ebay. Gonna mix it with water and dose accordingly. Hopefully I can find a recipe online.

I'm just totally disgusted by these things. I haven't really seen ANY threads anywhere about these worms in saltwater aquaria, which is weird but I've read that they are found in marine fish. I'm really hoping I don't kill the fish with this. eBay says it should be here Wednesday-Friday which sounds good to me :)

Anyone have experience with them in saltwater? There's literally nothing about it online. Could I have gotten it wrong?

Is there anyone out there that can simply confirm I'm going to be okay using levamisole? I'm feeling uneasy about it

Could you move him to a QT tank? Honestly I have no idea about the saltwater but levamisole is perfectly safe to use in freshwater.

You will need to dose it two or three different times, each 2 or 3 weeks after the first to make sure you get rid of the eggs that have hatched. And after dosing make sure to do really good substrate cleaning to pick up the worms.

Could you move him to a QT tank? Honestly I have no idea about the saltwater but levamisole is perfectly safe to use in freshwater.

You will need to dose it two or three different times, each 2 or 3 weeks after the first to make sure you get rid of the eggs that have hatched. And after dosing make sure to do really good substrate cleaning to pick up the worms.

the worms are iin the main tank, so id hhave to treat everyone.

Ill make sure I do multiple treatments to kill all of them.

Do you know the dose for pure levamisole?

If you are unsure if it will be safe in SW you could move the known infected fish to a QT tank and treat there first. If successful, treat the whole tank.

I have no idea the dosage.

If you are unsure if it will be safe in SW you could move the known infected fish to a QT tank and treat there first. If successful, treat the whole tank.

I have no idea the dosage.

I thought about that, but I don't wanna stress the poor guy too much.

I found some threads on other forums about levamisole used in sw for other diseases. Apparently its ppretty reef safe and even kills ich pretty fast which might come in handy if I ever run into ich. I also found different dosages :) Im excited to start the first dose lol

Back
Top Bottom