Why am I loosing my crustacians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpross

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem I can't solve. Over the course of a few weeks I loose all shrimp and hermit crabs that I put in the tank. The tank is a 6 month old 120 gallon reef with, deep sand bed, good sump, halilde lights, cured rock, good water flow and protean skimmer. Temp stays at 80. Water quality is always good/ stable for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, salt. I do monthly water changes. The fish (tang, clown, gobi, damsels) all are rock stable and look happy. The soft corrals are doing well. Everything seems fine but slowly the shrimp and crabs disappear. Someone suggested a mantis shrimp. I haven't seen anything. No crushed shells or clicking sounds. I am ready to try a trap. Suggestions on type, bait or technique? Any other suggestions of what it might be? Thanks for any help.

Harry

Why am I loosig my crustacians?

WELCOME TO AA!!
How do you acclimate them?

Very slowly by drip over a couple of hours. They typically live for a couple/few weeks then are gone.

Thanks mel!
Hmmm, have you ever treated the main with copper?

I would be interested in seeing exact readings on your water chemistry and not "fine". That makes it rather hard to help diagnose.

never with copper. Tested for that also and it was normal.

I agree with Hara, what are the specific number of your test results?

specific gravity- 1.022
pH 8.2-8.4
amonia- less then .25
nitrate- less then 5.0
nitrite- 0
alk- 2.5
copper- tested by my local store, "normal"

What else should I be looking for?

I would find out where that ammonia is coming from and do a PWC in order to bring your parameters to the "good/ stable" state.
afishyonados said:
If you are dosing iodide or supplements that contain iodide, this is a typical reaction of overdose.
Are you dosing your tank?

no supplements until recently. With the loss of the last group, I started adding " reef builder" to raise carb alk given the 2.5 alk reading. I had not previously added anything.

I have'nt seem any molting but also assumed they weren't living long enough to get there.

everything is new and plastic. No signs of rust visible.

Can you update "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters, so we might be able to help you easier?

Nice setup! About how long do they live? If you had a mantis, those snails would be toast...

I do agree with the more frequent PWC`s as then you would have plenty of iodine in your tank for molting. The longer you go without PWC`s means the longer before trace elements are replenished. IME

Back
Top Bottom