Why won't my new clam open up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
On saturday I got a 5" Crocea and a 5" T. Maxima. The Crocea is doing great, open all the time, responds well to movement. The Maxima is not opening up very much. He was open at the store but today he wasn't out much at all. He still responds to movement and doesn't look like there is anything physically wrong with him. They were both under MH lighting and were up very close to the lights and in my tank they are directly under my bulbs and about 1/2 up my tank. Do you think he still may be stressed or is there something wrong? All water condition are 0 and I"m giong to test Calcium and alk in a few minutes.

Ca 410
Alk 3.25 meq/L

BTW, when my lights are on in the day and I'm dripping kalk the pH gets to around 8.5, I'm thinking this is a little too high especially if I don't drip kalk at night or it runs out and the pH drips to around 8.0, that seems to be like a pretty big swing in pH

Has it attatched to the rocks with it's byssal filaments yet? If not, that may be the issue, waiting to be secure from falling, it may also not like the water conditions it's in. Make sure to check it at night after lights have been out for an hour or so, for predatory snails.

It came attached to a small rock and it seems to keep moving around a bit, I should try to secure it a little better. I checked this morning before the lights came on for snails....didn't see any but I'm going to keep checking.

Back
Top Bottom