wonder about getting rid of a new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boggerscott

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok i just put my first fish in the tank. i bought 5 damsils like a week ago 2 blue with yellow tails and one all blue and black and white zebra stripped one but one is all black and has 2 white dots on it. he is the one that has a white dot on his clear fin. then 2 days later i reconized a white dot on the side of one of his eyes then today a white dot is on the other eye . so i wonder if its ick ?? but should i just take him out and flush him? id appreciate any advice. got a picture scroll down.

thanks

Don't flush him! I don't know a single thing about SW fish, but I know that you don't flush a fish just cause he's sick. Im sure there is a treatment or something out there that you can use.

ya but this is the beginning of my tank dont really want a sick fish in it. i dont know anyone else got an idea?

I am not very good with diagnosing sick fish as I hardly have any experience with them. But I can take a shot.

I think there are two possibilities here. First off, is you tank cycled? Are there any detectable ammonia levels? If so, this may be the problem. Ammonia can easily burn the eyes, gills, and fins of a fish. If your ammonia is fine, then I would suspect "Popeye" or similar bacteria infection of the eye. To treat you would have to QT the fish and administer broad spectrum antibiotics.

I don't belive it to be ich. Looks way to large and I don't see any other indicators for ich on the rest of the body.

That is really all the help I can offer. I am sure someone else who is extremely knowledgeable in this area will jump in (Steve-S hint hint)...

ok well so i should get him out of the tank? will he give it to my other fish? will he contaminate the rest of the water in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom