Wow! Tough loss!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I went away for 6 days and when I got home, all the aquarium lights were out including my AC at home. Somehow the circuit that controls the lights and AC failed. Needless to say, the tank temperature got to 89.7 and all my three shrimps (two cleaners and a blood shrimp) are nowhere to be found (presumed dead). All the corals shrivered up and even after 12 hours of light, they are still not recovering. There are black spots on the trunk of one of the colt corals and it is still leaning to one side. Both of my Xenias shrunk and although they are not dead, they refuse to open up. All my fish are OK and oddly, the peppermint shrimps are still alive and got really big in size. Water chemistry is OK at this point. Please advise me on what to do at this point. Thanks, DP

PS: Are the cleaner and blood shrimp that sensitive to the temperature at 89.7 degrees while the peppermints are OK? I am still hoping they are molting and hiding somewhere. DP

I would do some frequent PWC`s to get things back to normal. There might be some things wrong with the water that your water test cant pick up. I remember this happening to someone else and he was able to recover with frequent PWC`s.

I would do some frequent PWC`s to get things back to normal. There might be some things wrong with the water that your water test cant pick up. I remember this happening to someone else and he was able to recover with frequent PWC`s.

So you think it is the water chemistry that caused the loss of shrimps and corals? Can they survive in 89.7 degrees and no lights for 6 days? I just did the PWC change (20 gallons) a few days before I left. DP

One thing you need to understand is that the higher the temp the less the oxygen content. Alot of problems can be contained and solved with frequent PWC`s. You cant be afraid to do them. JMO

One thing you need to understand is that the higher the temp the less the oxygen content. Alot of problems can be contained and solved with frequent PWC`s. You cant be afraid to do them. JMO

I fully agree. That's why I do PWC every two weeks with 20 gallons. My Nitrate never gets above 5. Lately, I have been giving plankyton liquid (10 ml) for the corals everyday as advised by the LFS so now I have to keep an eye on the Nitrate. DP

Back
Top Bottom