Yellow Clown Goby very thin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a little yellow clown goby in a 10 gal tank along with a clown fish. I am concerned that the goby is looking to skinny. You can see his sides are caved in a bit. He seems to eat at all feeding, but not very much, and the clown fish does sometimes take food from him. We feed frozen formula one, mysis shrimp, pellets and sometimes flake food. All water levels test within range. I was thinking of moving the fish to my 30 Gal. at home. I only have 3 fish in my 30 Gal at home. Do you think it would help to move him to the bigger tank? Anything else I should be feeding him? From what i have read we are feeding him foods he should like.

Thanks.....

The problem with small gobies like this is (Clown primarily) they rarely get enough food in small tanks, the other is food sizes. Quite often tankmates will outcompete for foods and the foods they are usually able to catch are too big to eat. Moving to a larger tank that is well stocked with LR would be a good choice but would depend on those three other fish you have. Don't want it to end up a snack.

In a larger matured tank, the small goby will be able to feed on planktonic foods, pods etc that will help suppliment it's diet over what is being fed. I would also suggest augmenting the feedings with freeze dried or frozen Cyclop-eeze or similar small particle sized foods. Newly hatched live brine would be a good choice as well. The foods you have mentioned are really too large for this species.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve,

I think I will move him to my bigger tank, and you are right about the food being to large, I do use Cyclop-eeze in my tank at home and their is also a lot more live rock in my bigger tank so hopefully he will do better.

what other fish do you have at home?? I have a small CGoby for about 2 years now. I keep him in my 20 fuge on my 55 and he only eats a small amount of brine shrimp and flake when I feed him. Remember there real small so it will only take 1-2 pieces of shrimp to fill him up. If the fish in the other tank are larger and aggressive feeders I would leave him where he is.

Back
Top Bottom