Yellow Eye Tang in 5 Gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, well it's the best I can do for a QT tank.:(

My Singapore Angelfish out of nowhere died and right after my Yellow Eye Tang has Ich.

I had a post about it my angelfish, but couldn't get any help. it died literally within hours after showing NO signs of anything.

Now my Yellow Eye Tang has Ich. I removed him from my display tank as fast as I could. I thought it was sand for a few days at first, but realized it was getting worse.

All of my other fish are fine and show no sign of any ich or anything else. I have been feeding them healthy meaty foods each day. I treat the food from time to time with Garlic, and I change the food up each day. Pellets are always fed with whatever main course I choose for the day. Squid, Mysis, Brine, Plankton, and Seaweed.

So, getting to the point. My water test perfect, and I just did a water change. I also changed all my filters (Not the biological ones). I removed my infected guy and put him into the 5 Gallon QT tank. It's the only tank I got, I had to get rid of my bigger ones. :-( I figure it's better than having him infest the whole tank.

I am now treating him with Ich medication per the instructions on the bottle. Is there anything else I should do? I hope within a few days this clears up. I have already gave him a Freshwater bath (But it seemed to make it worse).

Freshwater dips can be stressful as much as they can be helpful. I'm assuming the tang is in QT for treatment? You'll have to leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks to make sure all the ich is gone. Even with that said, there has to be something stressing the fish out to get to that level of a death and ich showing up.

And of course, hoping that this really isn't a 5 gallon tank and just a typo.

Last edited:
No it's a 5 gallon QT tank. Not a typo.

My main tank is 120 gallon long. He was pulled from that to be treated.

I don't know what is stressing my guys out. It's like out of no where this is happening. I thought of aggression, but all of my fish have been together for a year without issue. My tank reads perfect! So I don't know what changed.

Maybe moving the rock around caused stress on him. I know there is a reason for ich, but right now I got to get him cleared up. All of my other guys are in the 120 gallon without issue. I didn't want it to spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom