Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Floyd1976

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

We added a Yellow Tang to the tank today.

All is fine, he seems to be swimming around happily. But, he has become gradually more pale as the day has progressed. And now has a white line running from behind his gills towards his tail.

Is this something to do with the lights? As it seemed to get worse when the lights went off. Also, I did notice a large browny/grey patch in the middle of his body when the lights first went off. This has since disappeared.

Anyone experienced similar?

yes....stress. how did you acclimate. You should leave the lights off for several hours after intro.

OK.. I gradually introduced him into the tank, keeping him in his own bag, Gradually adding thank water. This went on for about half an hour. The I let him swim free.

But, I did put th lights on straight away!!! :roll: :roll:

He has been fine all afternoon, just now has changed. Will he recover from this?

Hard to say depends a lot on the fish. Leave lights off and try not to stand around tank much. The more you let it relax and rest the better your chances. You may want to check your tank levels to make sure nothing is "high" which will greatly reduce your odds. Hard to tell what you did from your post but never dump water from a bag into your tank. Always net the fish and discard the bag and water.

I hope all goes well with the Tang.. My YT would loose his color right before the lights went out at night. He knew the time they went out every night and would slowly lighten up till they went out. Feed him some good flake food or nori and give him time.
You should read up on proper acclimation of fish. That is the way we acclimate fresh water fish. SW fish need a longer process and you should be checking slainity levels and match them over time, min of 1 hour.

My tangs are always odd looking in the AM and darker as the day progresses. They'll change colors when they stress but I've never seen it permenant. He'll probably be fine a little after lights on tomorrow. Try not to worry or bother with him. Nori daily for the first week or two (every other after that) and some formula 1 or 2 in rotation otherwise. Feed him a lot in the beginning until he settles in, dose with garlic and selcon when you feed. That will help him build his immune system back up. Good luck.

Phyl said:
My tangs are always odd looking in the AM and darker as the day progresses. They'll change colors when they stress but I've never seen it permenant. He'll probably be fine a little after lights on tomorrow. Try not to worry or bother with him. Nori daily for the first week or two (every other after that) and some formula 1 or 2 in rotation otherwise. Feed him a lot in the beginning until he settles in, dose with garlic and selcon when you feed. That will help him build his immune system back up. Good luck.

OK, silly questions here.. Nori?? What is it? I have got the usual frozen shrimp, two kinds and some sheets of I guess seaweed, that I have been told to rip up and clip onto the side of the tank.
Same for Fromula 1 and 2?? Never heard of them..
And yes you've guessed it.. garlic and selcon? I am guessing that you dont mean normal, household garlic!! Do these come in drop form? How do you use them.

Many thanks

Mark

Nori is the dried seaweed

As for formula 1 and 2, I believe its just a variety of foods, tangs need a varied diet but they are veggie eaters and appreciate a diet consisting mostly of vegetable.

There are many products that have garlic in liquid form.. Garlic enhancer etc, these contain elements that attempt to entice to fish to eat..

HTH

He seems much better today. Nice bright, deep yellow colour. Although the white line is still visible, but it is a lighter yellow that his body.

He looks happier too. Will find some nice garlic enhanced food for him too

StripesTheEel said:
Nori is the dried seaweedHTH

I’ve been feeding my YT the dried green seaweed
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/seaweed/Class//T1/F41+0012+0091/EDP/2696/Itemdy00.aspx

along with Marine Cuisine. http://www.thatpetplace.com/FrozenF...s/Marine+Cuisine/T1/F47+0353+0044/Detail.aspx

Do you know of any real difference between the red, green, & brown seaweed? They all list about the same “Guaranteed Analysis” results so I’m wondering if it’s just a marketing scam.

TIA

The "white line" is completely natural. It called the caudal bone and runs from just behind the gill cover to the caudal spike located on the tail. When the fish is stressed or at night for camouflage, the color will fade some. Not a bit concern especially if newly added.

Cheers
Steve

When I first added my YT he was a dull yellow for a day or two. Being new to this I also became alarmed and thought he was sick. Now, once the lights are on and he is swimming around he becomes a bright yellow. He is very timid when the lights first come on but soon enough he is out showing himself off. I feed him flake, dried seaweed on a clip, and some frozen shrimp from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom