Yellow tang casualty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronin33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought a Yellow tang about 1 week ago. Was doing fine. Had seen him in the aquarium shop a couple of times. Was there for about a month. Woke up this evening (Work nights) and he was dead. I had gone to an Aquarium store yesterday and the owner told me my FOWLR should be treated like a Reef and I should test the DK and Calcium in addition to the pH, SG, Amm/Nit/Nit. He also recommended a two step buffer. I retested my water yesterday and the parameters were as follows:
pH 8.3, SG 1.020, Temp 78F DK 7.0, Ca 460, Amm/Nit/Nit 0ppm. I added the buffer as indicated (Into my sump), went to work. the fish were fine this am and the Tang was dead this Pm. Retested pH 8.3, Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate 0.
1. Do you think this was related to the buffer or coincidence?
2. Any other thoughts? (None of the fish seemed in distress, no elevated RR, spots etc..).:n00b:

How much buffer did you add, and what specifically was it? Also, how many gallons is your tank?

If you added too much buffer too quick, it can cause a temporary rise in pH... that's the only reason I'm asking.

While I won't argue that's it's not a bad idea to know your alkalinity even in a FOWLR, if it was 7.0 like you say yours was, I sure wouldn't add buffer. That's totally acceptable. Regarding calcium... with regular water changes, that should keep your calcium where it needs to be for any clean up crew or coralline algae.

1. Do you think this was related to the buffer or coincidence?
2. Any other thoughts? (None of the fish seemed in distress, no elevated RR, spots etc..).
1- All the buffer did was put $ into the lfs owners wallet. All the parameters you posted are fine. There was no need to add any buffers.
2- What size tank? How long has it been running? What other fish are in it? How did you acclimate the fish?

Back
Top Bottom