Yellow Tang HLLE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a yellow tang from a well known pet store chain, and it was very malnourished. (I bought him attempting to rescue him) Well it's been 2+ months and he nice and fat now, but he has white blotches behind his right eye that are growing larger. I know it's not a fungus. Looks like HLLE to me. I feed him nori, flake, frozen ocean nutrition for angels and sponge eaters, and blender mush. If it is HLLE what should I do? What is a good vitamin supplement? TIA

It is still not very well understood what causes HLLE but among them are stress, diet, environment and some suggest stray current from equipment.

Vitamin fortified foods are definately a step in the right direction though. Best suggestion is one that is loaded in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s. Most do not but the main one to try is Selcon.

Cheers
Steve

I feed mine nori or dried seaweed several times per week (e.g. seaweed selects) which I will sometimes soak in Zoecon which is a fish lipid emulsion which is probably particularly good for tangs as it may prevent HLLE. Besides what you are feeding I also feed a zooplankton supplement (which is primarily hydrated daphnia and has to be stored in the fridge after opening; my blue tang loves it).

I use marine snow.

(from their ad)
MarineSnow Plankton Diet is a first of its kind product that reproduces the special biogenic suspended matter found in natural seawater, including “marine snow” aggregates. A food for filter-feeding marine invertebrates that feed on particulate and dissolved organic matter, phytoplankton and zooplankton. Formula based on components of ocean plankton.

Back
Top Bottom