yellow tang needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slush

Aquarium Advice Activist
okay my yellow tang isnt looking so good. its got a red mouth/teeth, one of its fins are a white, and its got some white scales now, what should i do????

FIsh can be pretty hardy but, Low oxygen and high ammonia are not good.

For better answer a few questions.

Tanks age and size?
Whats used for water flow?
Do you test the water?

i figure out what was wrong he keeped hanging out by my sea anemones and he would get stung and then go crazy and run into others corals plus the other sea anemones he is being treated now in a qt, but i dont think he is gonna make it

If he was stung by the anenome then he might not make it. Make sure you test the water where he is and make sure of excellent water conditions.

If you have a QT tank I would move it there and do daily 20% water changes to help it heal itself. It depends on how bad the injuries are. It may need some meds too.

Red mouth as in looks to be rotting away/open wounds? You said it is being treated, with what?

i have him in a qt and using melfix i think im gonna lose him he is laying on his side on the bottom, i covered the tank so its dark so it wont be so stressed out

Last edited:
Melafix is a little light so if the infection doesn't subside once your treatment has been completed I would switch to either Minocycline, Nitrofurazone, or even Erythromycin (last resort).

Melafix is a little light so if the infection doesn't subside once your treatment has been completed I would switch to either Minocycline, Nitrofurazone, or even Erythromycin (last resort).
okay thanks for your help

Make sure you have airline tubing (rigid) to keep the water well oxygenated.

sad news he didnt make it? i guess he wasnt as strong as the one that i had for 15 years:(

Air tube? Your SW aquarium recieves its oxygen supply from a gas exchange at the surface from water movement and fresh air supply. The bubbler may add some but not near enough. The bubbles it produces is more of an eyesore.

Make sure you have airline tubing (rigid) to keep the water well oxygenated.

He was referring to having an air line a covered QT tank, not a bubbler in a display tank. I agree with you about it being an eyesore in a display tank. I've seen that in the ocean unless it was from a scuba diver, and even then it was very temporary <g>

Covering the tank means you cant get a good gas exchange and gas release at the surface. I can see useing the bubbler while covered but this would trap the release of nitrogen leading to higher ammonia amoung others?

He was referring to having an air line a covered QT tank, not a bubbler in a display tank. I agree with you about it being an eyesore in a display tank. I've seen that in the ocean unless it was from a scuba diver, and even then it was very temporary <g>

My response was based on the fact that many medications starve oxygen and many stressed fish show labored breathing so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also prefer rigid airline with an open top (egg crate is fine) since I avoid a fine mist of bubbles from an airstone that increases salt creep.

Safer then sorry would mean added water flow. The bubbles that any air pump gives isnt useable for fish. The amount that collects at the surface would help since its covered but the ill effects of being covered might be worse.

Back
Top Bottom