Yet another ich post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, my Blue Hippo tang developed ich shortly after purchasing him. I have had tang and 2 clownfish in a QT tank for almost 3 months. I did the hypo treatment, but the ich came back on my tang about 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't recovered. I'd really hoped that I'd taken care of the problem, but now I'll have to wait for this bout to be over and wait and see if he gets it yet again. I do frequent water changes and monitor the salinity level each time. I'm using a instant ocean hydrometer with the swinging arm. Is this thing just junk? I've seem some other people post about a digital hydrometer. Is that what I should try next? I'm very worried about cost I don't have much room to manuever in my budget right now. I'm also curious as to why he keeps getting such bad cases of it but my clownfish haven't had it yet. Any advice would be great. I'd really like to get these guys back into my main tank and off my kitchen counter. Should I try one of the copper treatments?
Andari.

Tang's do seem more susceptible to the ich parasite which is what garnered them the name ich magnets. The hydrometeor could be part of your problem. They aren't very accurate and really shouldn't be used when trying to do hypo treatments. A refractometer is a much more accurate tool for the job. Liveaquaria has the one I use on sale right now and it's my favorite piece of equipment. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957&N=2004+113761
If the refractometer is not an option right now then I'd suggest using a copper treatment. I've read great things about Cupramine. It's not as harsh as some other copper treatments. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...-Medications&ref=3969&subref=AA&N=2004+113016

I agree that if you did hypo and you used a hydometer then you probably did not get accurate readings. Try again with a refractometer and make sure to leave your main fishless for 8 weeks.

I'm good there my main has been fishless for 3 months.. lol.. ugh
Part of me thinks maybe I should take him back and stick to my clowns because they're so hardy but I don't want to take him back because I'm attached.. :(
I'll check and see how much the refractometer is.

Your main should be good to go if it`s been fishless that long. Any new fish make sure you QT them and observe them and you wont have ich in there any more.

That refracto is only $43. That is a good price and I love mine. It is VERY easy to read and use. I was surprised at the difference in readins from my hydor and my refracto....!

Back
Top Bottom