Zoa: Dead or Alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's a pic. Been like this for a week and half since I got it. Didn't look too hot, but was practically free. Parameters all good and stable. Temp good, lights on for 7.5 hours a day. All other corals look great (green poly toadstool, other zoas, sympodium blue). This is in a tank that is about a month old and cycled.

Let me know what you all think!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420926079.027154.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No I'd look up the right ratio for a peroxide dip. That will kill the algae

Alright. There was macro algae all around it, but I killed that. I will look up the suggested ratio like you are saying.

I am seeing that a 50:50 solution for 2-4 minutes is recommended. Does that sound right? Also it was suggested that the frag be placed in a high flow spot afterwards. Sound good?

I wouldn't put it in a high flow spot. I would try a lugols dip, and not a peroxide dip, if the algae is gone.
What exactly are your parameters? What kind of flow is it in now?

Nitrate 0-20ppm
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
pH 8.5
Kh 180
Salinity 1.026
Temp 80F

8.5 gallon tank
Aquaclear 110 for circulation
Par30 led bulb 18,000K (~12 inches away from top of tank)

This frag is near the bottom with moderate flow. I could put in in a lower flow spot.

0-20ppm is a huge range for nitrates, that could be your problem there if it's at the 20 ppm part of that range...

0-20ppm is a huge range for nitrates, that could be your problem there if it's at the 20 ppm part of that range...

I say 0-20 because my test is not very accurate and no color is zero and a very light off white is 20. My eyes cannot really tell the difference, but I would say it is closer to no color than having color.

Wouldn't that effect all the colors though? Not just the one?

That's hard to say. Not necessarily. PH is a bit high also. Are you getting decent flow with that HOB filter?

That's hard to say. Not necessarily. PH is a bit high also. Are you getting decent flow with that HOB filter?

I am getting a variety of flow spots with this filter. There is high flow in the middle and upper part of the tank. Medium flow on the middle sides of the tank, and lower flow at the bottom sides of the tank. I Also have it on the lower flow option now, so I can increase flow.

It must be aerating the water well. I'm not saying to increase flow...was just curious.
I still vote for the lugols/iodine dip. Zoas seem to respond well to it.

I cannot find any lugols solution locally, so I have to order it. Any home remedy solutions? Or should I go ahead and order the lugols?

Nope, no instructions for a dip. Also, nothing on the iodine concentration.

I have the lugols ordered and it will be here Thursday. I hope that since it has looked the same for this long it will be ok for a few more days.

I got the dip solution this last Thursday. I followed the instructions and put the zoa back in slightly less flow and a little less light spot.

It has not changed a whole lot. It is a bit more inflated and and it opens enough to see the Zoas face, but still no skirt.

How long can a zoa be closed and live?

Back
Top Bottom