Zoanthid wont open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regan_tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I bought a zoanthid the other day It wasent fully open when I bought it all I saw was the neon orange skirts so I thought I'd get it but anyways it's been I'm my tank for 2 days and still won't open up what could be the problem?

Attachments

• image-3134774970.jpg
    image-3134774970.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 158
I never try to buy single zoas because their survival rate is much lower. However, I'd give it a little longer and then move it. They tend to not open if they are not happy.

I never try to buy single zoas because their survival rate is much lower. However, I'd give it a little longer and then move it. They tend to not open if they are not happy.
I'm just worried it won't make it it was 25 bucks a polyp so that's the only reason I bought it as a single

I'm just worried it won't make it it was 25 bucks a polyp so that's the only reason I bought it as a single

I know what you mean I've bought a couple 2 polyp ones for like $35-40. It doesn't look to be melting so maybe move it some

But I have more zoanthid colonies there an they do perfect should I still move it?

It might not like the flow or the intensity of light. I've had zoas on the same rock where one flourished and another wouldn't open up Til it was moved to a different spot.

Okay well I guess I can do that if that fail should I try freshwater dipping and how would I
Go about doing that?

Freshwater dips are a last ditch effort IMO for coral. I do them on my clams if I see some pinched mantle starting...but that is a different story. A dip in something like coralrx before putting a new coral into your tank is best in terms of disease/parasites, but I highly doubt this is the case here. You just have a stressed out coral, probably freshly cut, that is looking for the right conditions to open back up.

It's still not coming out I'm getting worried that it's not gonna make it

A dip probably isn't going to help it. I would move it and wait a few days and see what it does. Any changes can take days to see the results.

if it's closed up, at least you know it's still alive. when it melts down, it's dead. from the looks of the pic, you shouldn't worry too much (easier said than done). just wait it out: no dips, no moving around, or let other critters touch it.

Back
Top Bottom