1 casualty, 5 stitches... todays adventure. (bloody pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I just arrived home from the ER to find a dead fish... let me fill you in.

So I noticed one of my 5 tiger barbs was acting a bit strange. He was just hiding at the bottom of the tank appearing a bit unhealthy.
img_2854960_0_37f8785584463f0282b06c148e3d9294.jpg

So I thought I better pull him from the tank and put him in isolation so I filled up a bowl with about a gallon of water and pulled it over by the table to get everything situated. Then it was go time but as I grabbed the bowl to pull it over closer it broke and cut my middle finger deep and about 5cm long needless to say a few profanities came out and after about 20-30mins of not being able to stop the bleeding I decided to head to the ER and get it stitched up. 9am-2pm I was at the ER and when I got back the tiger barb had died but it looked like he was half decayed already.
img_2854960_1_90490d5e77efbad1a771c02acfd8c88b.jpg

so my question is what killed him? all the others appear to be okay. plus I thought this would just make for a fun story to share with you all.

cut & stitches:
img_2854960_2_a328b7fc795b42892527efba70fbfc9d.jpg

img_2854960_3_0e5bc0cc418c12d8242e274e8dccdff4.jpg

luckily it's not my dominate middle finger so my flipping off of people wont be halted.
:thanks:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Tiger barb - sitting at bottom of tank not moving then died

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
currently cycling so ammonia is a bit high (todays plan was to do some water changes)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10 gal a couple weeks
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
cant remember off the top of my head but i know it is enough for now.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
was 5 now 4 tiger barbs, 3 snails
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
This was going to be the first big one.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
couple weeks for 4 of them, this guy was about a week in
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
no
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
no change in diet

It was honestly probably the ammo levels... Anything over 0.25 is lethal to fish. Be sure to do large water changes a lot more frequently. Are you using strips or a liquid test kit?

api master test kit fish #2 died, unfortunately I cant do a water change at the moment

You need to change water or all your fish will die, secondly a 10 gal is too small for tiger barbs, they like room to swim, they are probably very stressed at the moment.

currently they are all extremely small so i know i will need a bigger tank eventually but right now they should be fine in a 10 gal when it stabalizes

If you say so! The amm won't wait though, can you get a bag taped over your stitches so you can do a water change, if they're dropping this fast I doubt you'll have any left by morning..

Back
Top Bottom