11 fish, dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a BNP from the privately owned fish store here where I live! I bought it with "something" on it's right fin thinking it was just a color that he had! He was in my tanks or about 2 weeks with a peacock eel! Both fish seemed happy and they both were active (the eel at night obviously) and ate all the food I put in for them! (One algae wafer for the BNP and half a block if frozen blood worms for the eel) i came to realuze that my bnp possibly had colmnaris so i ordered some furan-2! I received it on Thursday! about a week after I put in my BNP i put in 10 small tiger barbs! They were in my tank for about 1 week. When I put in a block of blood worms they ate most of it and the eel ate the rest at night. The barbs were swimming around in their school and they seemed very happy! They even started developing the orange on their fins! I came home yesterday from out of town just to find my BNP and the 10 tiger barbs dead! Thankfully my eel survived! My params are: ammo: <.25 nitrites: 0 nitrates: <5.0 and my ph: <6.4. I just tested these about 10 minutes ago! So I figured my fish died from a ph crash? What could have caused this crash? If anyone else has any other ideas of why I would love to know! I will start treating my water for the columnaris with the furan-2 tomorrow! For those wandering I have moved my eel to my 20 gallon tank with 1 Molly, 2 platy, and 3 neon tetras!

I am sorry for your losses. That is a painful tragedy. I had a pH crash a short while ago, and still not exactly sure about all of it, started a treatment for illness and almost lost my whole tank. Lost two of my favorites and many others.

Best I can piece together for my tank is there were low total dissolved solids/tds and it caused a lack of buffering ability. I think. I added some crushed cuddlebone to up the calcium content and my pH stopped decreasing.

When it first happened, I did massive pwc and pH came back to normal and in a matter of hours it went down drastically several times that happened, before I read about the tds and added the cuddlebone powder.

I am sorry for your losses. That is a painful tragedy. I had a pH crash a short while ago, and still not exactly sure about all of it, started a treatment for illness and almost lost my whole tank. Lost two of my favorites and many others.

Best I can piece together for my tank is there were low total dissolved solids/tds and it caused a lack of buffering ability. I think. I added some crushed cuddlebone to up the calcium content and my pH stopped decreasing.

When it first happened, I did massive pwc and pH came back to normal and in a matter of hours it went down drastically several times that happened, before I read about the tds and added the cuddlebone powder.

Thanks! And sorry to hear about yours! And yeah I'll try something like that after I finish treating my water!

Back
Top Bottom