13in Sailfin Pleco shedding... is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

predatorysnails

Aquarium Advice Newbie
He is in a 55gL and loving it, he was in a 35 hex. The 55 is well established with bacteria and algae. He seems fine, healthy and happy, but i just changed the filter and found what appeared to be tips of his spines stuck in the filter (at least 10-15 of them. Small like 1/8 inch little triangles). Is this something I should be concerned about? He did grow about 3/4in since the move, so I felt like it should be normal to be shedding. All other fish in the tank are very healthy, but none are as old as him. Advice? Thanks.

Only time I've ever seen shedding was due to stress. That doesn't mean there aren't other reasons, I'm just saying what *I* have seen. :)

Stress could be new tank, difference in water temp or parameters, lack of hiding spots. Mine did it after we had moved 1000 miles and he'd been in a bucket for 30 hours.

What other fish are in the tank? Most likely you have a fish that's nipping the plecos' spine and when that fish takes a poop, the spine tips end up in the filter.

4 cherry barbs, 2 black tetras, 3 cories, 2 swordtails, rainbow shark, and the pleco. Yeah I didn't think of that i3k. I don't think the scales have been digested, and the only fish that is big enough to would be the rainbow shark, but they've been in the same tanks together since i had them. And Tim, it could totally be stress. We moved to a new apartment also, so he was moved around a couple times a week. How long does it take to recover from stress, and did your pleco recover?

Yes mine did. He developed a large white area all down the middle of the back too but it was gone within two days.

Although you should be aware that Rainbow sharks are extremely aggressive. They will be absolutely fine to a certain age and then BOOM, they turn into a maniac. I would observe that fish a bit and see if it is trying to injure the pleco. I had one once and it killed three Tiger Barbs by ramming into them, disabling the gills. It seems to have no interest in eating, just killing them.

Back
Top Bottom