15 gallon okay for QT two 3" discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 blue diamond discus the other week to go with all my other discus. They haven't been doing so well in that tank (always being bullied) they are eating and still love eating! But i also think they may have brought gill flukes to the tank. one of the blue diamonds tends to flash on gills occasionally plus their gills are slightly clamped. They have gone a little bit dark and they don't look to great :/ so what i thought i'd do is make my 15 gallon a quarantine tank and i could put them in their once i see them look strong enough to go back to the main tank. I will treat them with praziquantel aswell as treat my main tank too :) but im not sure if it's going to be big enough to house them? Also would it be a good idea to QT them, or is this not needed?

15 gallon is cycled and is a bare bottom

Ph: 7.3
Am: 0
Nitri: 0
Nitra: 5

Temp 86F

Main tank (60 gal)

Ph 7.0
Am: 0
Nitri: 0
Nitra: 10ppm (a bit high atm i know)

Please help! :)

QT is pointless now but it would've prevented it as you've learned. It's all good so let's move forward. Just treat the main tank. REMOVE THE CARBON FROM YOUR FILTER FIRST !!! It will take any meds out that you are using. It sounds as though you're treating based on symptom only. To truly identify if it is flukes you really need to scope them. Prazi will work fine, just follow the directions perfectly. Also it is somewhat difficult to overdose it. If after the treatment period (2 weeks I think) the other choice is Quick Cure. It contains Prazi and Metro, but I would wait at least a week in between with lots of WC's. The 15 would work for the two 3" as a temp solution but would not be my first choice. I understand that's all you have to work with but if you get a chance the next time one of the big chain stores is doing a $1/gal sale, grab a 20 or preferably a 30.

Hey treemanone :)

Yeah i was thinking just before it does seem a bit pointless :/ i don't know for sure it's gill flukes (could be bacterial) and i can't check if it is apart from symptoms :( if anything i am definately treating my main tank with prazi as my harlequin rasbora have caught something too. I noticed on one of them a stringy browny white poop. I cant get my hands on those really good meds in america because im from New Zealand and it's tough to find good meds especially in my location. There is 1 really big and fantastic aquarium store called hollywood fish farm which is new zealands biggest and best fish shop. But i would have to travel 3 hours to get there so i basically have to order.

Also about the QT tank options

Sorry i accidentally sent that. I wasn't finished :)

But yeah here they dont do $1 per gallon sales :/ and about the QT tank i can't get my hands on a big enough tank. Also they dont sell single glass tanks where i am. They sell brand made products with most costing me $200 just to get a 20 gallon tank with filter.

Anyway i will see how the prazi goes and i will update :) also my 2 blue diamonds are more of a shade brown in the body. But when free swimming at night they are a bright electric blue with big red eyes but in day when they get chased they go darkish again. also can discus become slightly more aggressive when sick and/or unhappy?

Hello Tom !!
I didn't realize you're on the other side of the border. Dang !! We do have a few more options here when it comes to stores but at least you can get the meds. ??

In answer to you're question, yes. Just like humans, we (and they) can get a bit ornery for sure. I will pm you some info that I think you'll love to know.

Back
Top Bottom